Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,304   Online: 823

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like normal behaviour for someone who is coming back to film. It took me over 12 months to not bring the digital with me when going out shooting.

Now, its the dead opposite! I have a problem bringing the digital.

You'll grow out of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For my first film only trip (since 2004, that's when I switched to digital) I went to Nepal. I didn't regret using film only. Photos came out great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I aways love to shoot film!

Jeff

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The underlying psychology is that you have accepted that it is easier and more convenient to shoot digital and see the results of your effort immediately, even though the scene you have photographed is no doubt benign and uncomplicated. Essentially, it is a comfortable thing for you. For most achieved analogue photographers they do not need to touch something digital for either a simple scene or one in which they may be unsure of due to technicalities of metering, composition, light or a combination of these and other factors. Even if they are sure, the film record may still not work out. This is where a small digi can be handy to "proof" a scene parallel to film (and this is no different to using a polaroid back widely used for proofing). In the end though, you can use whatever medium you are comfortable with, but film will teach you more about your mistakes (especially exposure) than a digimon will.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I only take film on every trip now. Worse than that, I only take B&W film - initially it drove the extended family insane, but they're used to it now. Keep your equipment in good nick and think about exposures, and you'll get a pretty good rate of successes - and if you shoot conservatively, there's a lot less tedious editing when you get home too!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

NJH

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It depends entirely on what you expect to get back from your photography. Do you want to accurately document everything you see with 100% success rate or do you want to be wowed by occasionally seeing an artistic vision come to life. I decided the later for several reasons and its this sort of freedom that I not only love about film photography but that it enhances my memories of where I have been rather than tries to replace them. One has to set oneself free of the burden of documentation to be free of the desire to shot digital, its as simple as that IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before I had one camera with color film, and one with B&W. Or I shoot some snaps with mobile phone. My style of shooting often needs fast reaction - so I decided not to use color films and mobile phones after I got myself couple of times in situation that I missed good shoot because I had mobile phone in my hand.

So for me when traveling: one full mechanical camera, one lens, manual focus, B&W film. More than this is distracting.
    Last edited by darkosaric; 08-04-2014 at 05:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add "one lens"

Shooter
    35mm
    Watch this series:
    It helped me think about what to bring and how to keep from annoying my family to death on a recent trip. Its worth a months subscription, or watch a weeks worth on Lynda for free!
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2014/06...amera.html?m=1
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    Watch this series:
    It helped me think about what to bring and how to keep from annoying my family to death on a recent trip. Its worth a months subscription, or watch a weeks worth on Lynda for free!
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2014/06...amera.html?m=1
    Keep it simple, and try not to think about allegiances or at least don't let them get in the way of enjoying your trip!
    That was supposed to be an edit....oh well tapatalking on phone error. Can't fix from here.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I posted about this back in June:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/1...-vacation.html

It wasn't so much a decision not to bring digital as it was to leave behind things that I wasn't using. Last year, I took a digital camera on vacation and don't think I unpacked it once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin