Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,062   Online: 930

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the training wheels off and go ruin a lot of film. You'll figure it out.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Having gotten my start in photography purely in the film era, but at the dawn of digital, I have no anxiety over shooting film. I put 30-some rolls of film through my Rolleiflex in Paris last October. I had some pleasant surprises but no nasty letdowns (some pictures turned out better - or even MUCH better - than I expected, but no turkeys or completely flubbed shots). I would rather travel and shoot with film than digital, because I don't have to bring along a separate computer that invites theft/damage/loss on the road. A thief is much more likely to target my laptop than they are my Rolleiflex. The laptop requires a stable power supply - the Rollei requires none. In the end, what it comes down to though is familiarity and comfort with the tools you have. If I were used to shooting with my Canon 5D all the time, and someone swapped it out for my Rollei, I'd be freaked out, insecure, nervous and excitable too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fresnel10 View Post
    So this feels very weird and dumb to post on APUG, but I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this. I shoot both film and digital, and typically when traveling (except, generally, a place I've covered heavily on previous trips) I will have at least one of each handy. One of my biggest struggles lately is that I am having a hard time getting past a nervousness to shoot ONLY film while on a trip. Just curious if anyone else has encountered this and how you powered through and got over it (if you even did)?
    When you shoot with film you commit to the integrity of a chemical/physical image. That shouldn’t make you nervous, but certain of what you are doing.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! Thanks for this wonderfully robust discussion. It is nice to hear others having or having had the same experience I am. I did forget to mention that, despite my younger age, I did start film, not moving to digital until I was in college. Hoffy absolutely pegged it...I am on a journey back to film and trying to take it more seriously than I ever have before. I keep telling myself that I used to shoot TONS of film on vacation before digital, so it's silly that it's a hang-up for me now, but it still is. Something to continue working on for sure.

And thanks for that link, trythis. I took a look through it and will dive in deeper when I have a chance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always shot film and mostly slides. In 2002 (I think) I was in Slovakia with some friends. One morning we were offered some Slivovich by the father of one of the particioants but had no glasses and since then I dont travel with less than 15 extra rolls of 135 film
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The laptop requires a stable power supply - the Rollei requires none. In the end, what it comes down to though is familiarity and comfort with the tools you have
    These are a couple of nice points.
    What I like of film is that you don't need the strict power management (traded for film management though). And you don't have to be tethered to the grid every day or X days for charging everything.
    That is great for some locations where power isn't ubiquitous.

Ditto on the tools. Coming up below may be a bit of a personal rant.
    I see that within our society, newer tools seem to just dismiss or question the older ones. Hype.
    I noticed that when a friend changed his glasses. He seemed to dislike the older ones much more.

Film has been what it is for quite a while. Then there is the new set of challenges that digital has.
    YMMV as they say. I'm a college student that has grown in the digital era and have a particular point of view.

I have to recognise that I have to do a trip completely on film. There is always some kind of digital for the snapshots and easy sharing. The "good stuff" (the body of photo work I want) is handled by film.
    Frankly, this very phone I am writing in now has a decent enough camera for this funcition and that lets me concentrate further on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Soeren, slivo is probably the best argument yet to always have some film handy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edcculus View Post

I'm way too young to remember this, but I was talking with someone who was telling me that a lot of old hotels used to have darkrooms in them, so tourists could develop their film while on vacation.
    They still do! The bathroom sometimes it's the best way if you were shooting some pushed black and white and don't want xray fogging.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin