Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,687   Online: 724

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why drink single malt whiskey when you can drink vodka?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My wife loves to knit and her mom loves to quilt. My mom painted and my grand mother sewed, my dad shot slides. The people who get (or got to share time with) the resulting pieces enjoy them immensely both because of character each has and because of who made them. There aren't any copies of these "things", each piece is an original with it's own personality.

These fine ladies and gents find (or found) joy in the process/the act of making these artifacts and like sharing a meal with these people, these things are never destined to be shared via web or sms. That doesn't mean these things are necessarily hidden or private, simply that they are meant to be shared in person. You have to be present where they are to see and enjoy them.

Meditation is another good reason, because it isn't necessarily about anybody but ourselves. Think Vivian Maier.

A good share of why I do analog work is because it gives me something tangible. My wife is a computer programer and still struggles with the concept of the digital result of her work "being real".

I could go on but...
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Why drink single malt whiskey when you can drink vodka?
    I don't think there is a good reason for me to drink whiskey.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If digital looked as good as film, we'd all be doing it, right?

A good reason is not needed to drink good whiskey. Never trusted anyone that didn't have a drink now and then. It's gratifying to see all the positive news about having a nice glass of the old vino rosso too. If that sort of thing is cumulative, I'm set for a ripe old age!
    Last edited by momus; 08-06-2014 at 07:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Never trusted anyone that didn't have a drink now and then. It's gratifying to see all the positive news about having a nice glass of the old vino rosso too. If that sort of thing is cumulative, I'm set for a ripe old age!
    What about Muslims and other who are not drinking alcohol on religious bases ?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never underestimate a Photoshop guru's ability to make their digital files look like film. I've been fooled more than once (and, yes, I hate it when that happens). No, it's more than the look. It's about having something real and tangible to work with. And the satisfaction that comes with the craft of making a one-of-a-kind print -- one that I can't reproduce by simply pressing the Print button again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me there are lots of reasons, but I think the core ones are;
    1. I spend too much time in front of computers already.
    2. Doing analog well is more of a challenge, and more rewarding when I get it right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    What about Muslims and other who are not drinking alcohol on religious bases ?
    If they are conservative enough I don't think they are allowed to make images of people so most photography is out anyway.

Please note that my comment was not really about drinking but a way to say that even though you can get similar results, some ways of doing things are more enjoyable than others and that may be a reason as good as any to do it that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wrong logic IMO.

A good reason is not needed to drink good whiskey. Never trusted anyone that didn't have a drink now and then.
    There are good reasons not to drink, but that choice does make me want to know why.

Shooter
    35mm

nitrate film

Digital images are like nitrate film -- they will go up in smoke or be reduced to dust very soon, maybe before this century is up. Traditional silver b&w prints and negatives will last 200 years. And 200 years from now many people will be interested to see what those olde time savages (you and me) were up to.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin