Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,440   Online: 916

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Why ℗ Analogue Film in a digital Age?

Hi. I am trying to understand myself better on a sleepless night. I have two wonderful Nikons, among others, a D700 and a F5. Also. a Rolliecord V. In this day and age of digital I ampulled to keep my bulk loaders full of FP4 and HP5.

I don't understand my reluctance to embrace digital. Has anyone had a similar experience

L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its a forum for film photography, I think you can safety say all of us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

welcome to APUG .

If something is newer it does not mean it is better, or the same. When TV came - they were saying cinema is dead. When VHS came they were saying cinema is dead. When photography came - they were saying painting is dead.

Different tools for different needs. Digital is different tool.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sorry, but all cameras are digital! We use digits to operate them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My beer is not digital so I do not belong to digital age yet. :-(
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me it is not about giga or petapixels and what not. Photography is my hobby, digital imaging is not. Simple as that. I tried, I know. And the tradition of more than a century of photography is so inspiring. Well, my version of the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A look at both sides of the coin.
    My photography makes use of both digital and analogue, with analogue providing, as it always has, the most satisfaction and the best results; it involves subjective analysis, critical thinking, comparison aesthetic balance, visual-spatial relationships and visualisation of the finished image as a photograph. If I use digital, it makes me a bit uncomfortable and uncertain looking at a little coloured display because it is corrupting my long-established methodology, so I compromise with myself to achieve a good outcome. It is mostly the beginners in film photography that express doubt on their abilities and confidence and look to digital as a panacea ... .a wonder cure, if you will, which it is not really. Besides, you will learn a great deal more from knuckling down in film photography than you would using digital alone, because much of the decision making of the image (exposure, among) is being done for you by the camera (along with focusing too), and those things today are bristling with technology that is superfluous to the business of creating a beautiful image to be proud of. Go all manual and make your own reasoned choices to stand out from the crowd.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Digital stuff applied to arts makes things easier but lowers the standards. Think about a MIDI base and compare it with a real guitar....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, it's all about dark room magic. Film affords me the pleasure, computers do not.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had the opportunity to use a Pentax K-x DSLR, very briefly. Pentax considered it to be an "entry-level" DSLR. Rest assured, most if not all DSLRs will let you turn all the automation off (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and focus), however their interfaces are not as simple as on a good film SLR. Even the high tech plastic film SLRs let you turn off automation and control most if not all of the settings with a couple button pushes and switch flicks.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin