Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,359   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Posting images of lesser works on the internet . . . .

Just out of curiosity, do you post works of little merit (lesser works), or images of photographic works that are obviously not your best work, on the internet? And if so, are you not worried that these "inferior works" might haunt you in the future? Lets' think 20 or 30 years down the road, when we've made a good name for ourselves, we're successful, and then someone digs up our worst from the internet. Would you be concerned?

I do see the value behind getting feedback on works, so that one can grow and learn photographically. But, what I am really addressing here are images of works posted on the internet that you know are lacking. Along similar lines, maybe "there are" concerns with works that, if not lacking on the technical side, might haunt you because of the subject that was photographed, or the subjects that you regularly photograph and post on the internet.

I have enjoyed bouncing my work off others, and will probably continue to do so. But, as I age gracefully, I do wonder what legacy I may leave strewn across the web, especially in places like archive.org and their WayBack Machine. That could be scary. A deep subject indeed.
    Last edited by DannL.; 08-25-2014 at 02:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Missing one of these . . . (?)
    5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, 8x10, 6x9cm, 6x7cm, 6x6cm, 6X4.5cm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do think about this once in a while. The internet has an interesting characteristic in that it doesn't forget.

I'm guilty of putting up work that I'm not sure about, to get feedback, here and elsewhere. As soon as I have some sort of idea of what others think, I take them back down and start working on them in the darkroom. It isn't that I'm seeking 'approval', but it's more about what kinds of reactions I get, especially from those whose opinions I really trust.
    But I do email work or even send prints out for feedback too, and that's a better mechanism for feedback, and certainly all work I post on the internet is that way.

It's good to consider how good the internet's memory is sometimes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don’t really care what legacy I leave strewn across the web, or if they are regarded as lesser or better than lesser works. I would hope that people see that I am trying to improve my photography as I gain practice. Feedback from others is also very helpful, as sometimes they may see more in an image that you may have not been conscious of when you took the picture. By sharing images we can often learn from each other.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm

lesser and moreer

I was a newspaper, magazine and wire service photographer for many years starting in the 1960s and archives are strewn with my works, good and bad. You can even find some on the Internet because some old publications are on the net. And the wire service archives are in a salt mine in New York State, owned by none other than Bill Gates who snapped them up because of the historical value and the greedy maw of the Internet for photos. Some of my photos are great, some not so great. They are what they are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I upload my photographs rather promiscuously to Flickr and Ipernity.

I'm certainly not a professional photographer, and I don't really consider myself to be a gifted one, even in a small way.

Accordingly I share the things I see that I find interesting or beautiful or whatever, and my friends are usually interested to see them.Some strangers seem to like some of them too.

20 or 30 years down the road, I'm unlikely to be around to be remotely worried about my "legacy", even if I were worried now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll never be a famous enough photographer for it to matter. If I'm ever actually making money in photography, it will be on a local client based portrait level, not selling prints to galleries all over the world.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I remember an old Peanuts cartoon where Linus was doing an opinion survey to find out what people thought. Lucy screamed at him "Who cares what other people think"?

Anyone who is doing good work could care less about what someone else thinks about the work. What a waste of time. Ergo, anyone who is concerned about what other people think isn't dong good work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you mean they couldn't care less?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For anyone to see you images they need to be downloaded to their computer, so I don't post anything I don't mind giving away. If that means just posting 'lesser works' then maybe the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I first started on APUG large numbers of copies were ripped off. I deleted my photographs. Therefore I do not post my photographs on the internet, except at APUG when I need to show a problem or want to present an example. My work is for myself and those I wish to share it with.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin