Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,557   Posts: 1,621,744   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You'll want to avoid violating the law

This is a litigious society and a society that think pictures should be free. The only way to settle this is in the courts. Producers and consumers of images should bone up on these legal cases.

http://petapixel.com/2014/10/28/8-le...ographer-know/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These decisions are all quite interesting and informative, but it is important to realize that all appear to be US cases. In particular, the references to statutory damages are strictly relevant to the US.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The monkey owns the rights to his selfie.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm

monkey business

I am not sure that is what the court said. The court said the copyright on the selfie taken by the ape did not belong to the dude who owned the camera but can a non-human own copyright rights? Can I sign over my photo copyrights to my cat? Corporations are people, in the US, but are animals people? The jury is still out, I think.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I am not sure that is what the court said. The court said the copyright on the selfie taken by the ape did not belong to the dude who owned the camera but can a non-human own copyright rights? ...
    More likely that there is no legally reconized copyright 'owner' for the image. Perhaps it is considered an act of nature, thus can not be copyrighted.

Perhaps the photographer should have photographed the photograph taken by the monkey -- then copyrighted that!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How does one register a copyright? :-/
    And how do you do it if you are shooting film - does that affect your registration/ownership claims etc.,?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    How does one register a copyright? :-/
    And how do you do it if you are shooting film - does that affect your registration/ownership claims etc.,?
    The answer to your question depends on which country you are in. In many/most parts of the world, there is no registration system. The US has a registration system, and a legal system for enforcement that requires registration in order to collect "statutory" damages.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The answer to your question depends on which country you are in. In many/most parts of the world, there is no registration system. The US has a registration system, and a legal system for enforcement that requires registration in order to collect "statutory" damages.
    I see, but given that the internet really cares a hoot for the country, but legislation is within country - and if most dont have registration (I'll have to look up what India has), should one register in the US too then? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post

Thanks for the link, looking it up!

Shooter
    35mm

complex

It is very complicated but I think the idea of photographing the ape's photo and then registering it has promise. I don't put anything worth anything on the Internet. It will get stolen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin