Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crap Shots

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Crap Shots

I was talking w/ another member here via PMs, and we both agreed that one doesn't want to show a lot of, for lack of a better word, crappy shots on photo hosting sites, portfolios, etc. But then I got to thinking, why not? That sort of thing is a good antidote to the seriousness that creeps into all of our works. So, here's my crap shot. Anyone else got any?

I have enough to fill several museums, but out of compassion will post only one. It's a shot of nothing, really. The horizon is pretty tilted, exposure is wrong, and I can't figure out exactly what, if anything, I was focusing on, or why I took it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	96986

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    But it's a start and everybody has to start somewhere.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's normal to look at a scene and know that there is potential for a good image within. You then have to work around the area, trying different angles and compositions. In the OPs picture there was probably scope to change viewpoint/lens, and make something of it, despite the fairly harsh lighting. It can be difficult trying to identify what exactly drew you to the scene, but I think that is a skill you can learn/improve with conscious effort. There are some good books on composition and creation of successful images. It's definitely an area where you can improve through learning and, to me, is more important than all the technical exposure/development stuff. That's just my opinion and, for what it's worth, I've seen and produced a lot more crap shots than this one!
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see 3 or 4 good shots within that crap shot to be had by zooming with the feet. There are probably dozens. That's how my bad stuff usually happens - not taking the time to really figure out what it was that caught my interest and closing in on it before tripping the shutter.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I was talking w/ another member here via PMs, and we both agreed that one doesn't want to show a lot of, for lack of a better word, crappy shots on photo hosting sites, portfolios, etc. But then I got to thinking, why not? That sort of thing is a good antidote to the seriousness that creeps into all of our works. So, here's my crap shot. Anyone else got any?

I have enough to fill several museums, but out of compassion will post only one. It's a shot of nothing, really. The horizon is pretty tilted, exposure is wrong, and I can't figure out exactly what, if anything, I was focusing on, or why I took it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	96986
    Crap Shots?

What are those? I don't have any, my work is 100% non-crap... Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Where would pinterest or flikr be without them?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I will say one thing though about my not-so-miniscule number of crap shots. Since I've been doing pinhole, those that are underexposed and lack compositional focus have a certain charm as lith prints. Trying to get a "straight" print from these negatives is frustrating but the lith technique works for them.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Momus, is that Atascadero, California? I visited there as a small kid and made some photos where the scenery looks remarkably similar to that.

So, see, since it inspires discussion it's not crap!

I guess I've got a lot of crap/snapshot photos, too. It makes me feel guilty when I've done it on old SX-70 or 600 film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sometimes the crappiest shots I have are taken at the end of the roll, when I want to hurry up and finish it so it can be developed. I tend to take photos of any old thing at that point. Horrible, I know.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    Crap Shots?

What are those? I don't have any, my work is 100% non-crap... Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Not safe for work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzG_J7RCGS0
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin