Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,944   Online: 952

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Subjects not looking like themselves: Has this ever happened to you?

About a month ago I finally got a chance to shoot a 4x5 wetplate of my mom. Sat her down outside, got her and the camera posed,poured the plate,got it in the fixer and IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE HER. It was technically good ,but it did not resemble her at all. If I had not taken the picture myself , I would have called the photographer a liar. Thing is after a day or two ,it did look more and more like her, and now , it seems to be perfectly ok.
    Was this an effect of the wet plate process distancing the way my mom really looks from how I see her, because if it was ,Jeez. I have never been so disturbed by a photo before. I almost didn't want her to see them- but they didn't bother her. I've taken other pictures of mom with film and while I got a twinge of something ,it wasn' t anything like this was

Has anybody out there ever had something like this happen to them, or should I take up cutting out paper dolls or fingerpainting
    Think I better go with fingerpainting-- they won't let have any sharp objects

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take up making paper doilies.

Playing tiddlywinks with manhole covers.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, it's funny you mention this. I made a studio dry plate of my wife last weekend. Kinds of up close, used flash. Developed it. And she looks like a man. Totally unflattering. Doesn't look like her at all. I haven't had the heart to show it to her...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cameras capture souls, not just images.

nuf sed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    You know, it's funny you mention this. I made a studio dry plate of my wife last weekend. Kinds of up close, used flash. Developed it. And she looks like a man. Totally unflattering. Doesn't look like her at all. I haven't had the heart to show it to her...
    smash it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's happened to me too. Below see shots of the same woman, all taken within a short time period of each other. She's always fooling w/ her hair, so that part is actually different in some photos, but the rest? None of these are "her", they're photos of her, which are arbitrary and artificial representations of objects, but still. As bvy pointed out, you gotta be careful what you show the wife, and I have my "man" shots below too.

It MIGHT be explained by saying it's about the angle of the shot, lighting, lens, film, printing, etc, but the message to me is that no two moments are the same, they're unique instances in time, and we all look different from one moment to another. It can be perceived if we pay attention and see instead of look. Nothing in the universe is the same moment to moment, ever. It's always in flux, always becoming, never fixed. Nothing is what we think it is, which explains a lot of confusion and suffering. We all get little wake ups of this throughout our brief lives, then right back to the suffering :]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	97008

Name:	21 40360005.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	97009

Name:	31.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	97010

Name:	R1-05289-020A ver2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	97011

Name:	11 21620015.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	97012

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	97013
    Last edited by momus; 11-01-2014 at 04:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This happen every once in a while to me.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I feel better now- for a little while I thought I'd gone off the deep end. Being able to be surprised by your work make taking pictures well worth the effort.
    Rob

Shooter
    35mm
    momus, numbers two and four are utterly gross. The others, OK. The last: the best and warmest.

Actually number one would be the best if it were not for the damn, distracting background. - David Lyga

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    smash it.
    It's tin. I'll douse it in hot water and reclaim the plate. Or maybe I'll pull it after the image gets all melty and offer it up as a Halloween piece.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin