Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,908   Online: 931

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Comments on Today's LensWork Blog

Would anyone care to comment on LensWorks daily blog entry titled "A Rose by Any Other Name"? "Should digital photography really be called pixelography?"
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Far too polite.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does that make digital practitioners "pixies"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    He was too polite, or you're too polite to say what you think about it?

I agree with parts, I disagree with parts. I thought the comparison with musicians was poor. We do differentiate between musicians based on the instrument they use. If you said you're a musician, the next question will be, what instrument do you play? Just being a musician is not the end of the story. What instrument you use greatly influences the final product that comes out as your music. Just like the photographic instrument used will determine the final photographic product. Now I don't particularly like pixelography as the term either myself, but it's not something I have given a lot of thought to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well.. according to the audioblog the below example is a "photograph" made by a "photographer".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not by any photographer on this planet, it's not.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I rather like to think of myself as a "silver halide crystalographer." That way I can stop people on the street and ask if they mind my making a silver halide crystalograph of them, and can invite people to look at my silver halide crystalographs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Gee, may I cast my vote in the "don't really care column"? I think at one point in this forum I cast myself as a "harvester of photons", so I will stick with that. I don't think that anyone has a lock on the the "One, True Photography" so I think that just about anything that anyone does with a camera of any type is just OK with me.

Purely photographic output to me is metal on paper. (I am willing to concede that the addition of a third ingredient, gelatin, could possibly be considered for those modern photographers who do not print in any of the historic processes. Well, except for the gummists - they have always had a credibility problem. ) But for most of us, the biggest form of photographic consumption is the ink on paper of a book or magazine. So, is it a major step to consider the ink from an inkjet on paper from Kodak or Ilford not a photograph? For some it is, for some it isn't. It's your choice to make. And that is what is the best thing about photography now. You have more choices to make than ever!
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Images
    The musician analogy is silly. I know a lot of professional musicians who have spent lifetimes becoming proficient at their chosen traditional instruments. They have colorful names for people who create music with samplers and emulators by moving notes around a computer monitor with a mouse. None of them are quite as polite as "Digicians" or "Samplists".
    Grouping Guitarists and Pianists and Tromboners [giggle] together as Musicians is more akin to referring to users of Large format field cameras and 35mm rangefinders and 120 Holgas all as Photographers.

I'd like to hear what Jovo has to say about the analogy.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too thought his "musician" parallel was not so parallel....I guess if I paint houses I can call myself a painter...

OTOH who cares? Brooks has both feet firmly planted in the digital camp and it is no surprise he thinks the distinction "silly." As photgraphers we are "writing with light" and for that to occur we need both the pen (light) and the paper (negative). Pixelographers have done away with the paper....how can they be writing? To me it sound more like they are using a dictaphone.....

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin