Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,667   Posts: 1,623,972   Online: 731

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

They say film is dead

But we still shoot film. Long live analog photography!

http://hyperallergic.com/184823/ever...ve-everything/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "They" are fools.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who is 'they'?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

They're not hard to find

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Who is 'they'?
    I think "they" are the majority. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can't be dead.

I have several cameras currently loaded with it, and none of them smell...

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    ".......... I have never paid attention to they.
    That's what they all say!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Analog photographers will have the last laugh. We can still print 100 year old glass plates today. But this can be the digital legacy.
    http://petapixel.com/2015/02/17/prin...pioneer-warns/
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There will always be film because enough people realize film is wonderful.

At numerous restaurants, coffee shops, and stores in my area there are large prints on the wall - obviously made from photos about 100 or more years old. Taken with possibly an 8x10 camera, the detail and quality really stand out. People who look at these photos realize it isn't digital, nothing they've ever seen matches it, and perhaps are very impressed with what they see and may be tempted to get into film photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Analog photographers will have the last laugh. We can still print 100 year old glass plates today. But this can be the digital legacy.
    http://petapixel.com/2015/02/17/prin...pioneer-warns/
    I had a client in my studio who lost four years worth of family photos in a hard drive crash. Not backed up.

Another family I know, friend of a friend, had a daughter with cancer. After she died, someone broke into their home and stole their computers, which contained all of their family photos.

I personally have about 20,000 digital images of my family that have not yet been printed. It's so much I don't even know where to begin.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm

dig

Digital media, hardware, software are ephemeral. Frankly, nobody really knows if film will endure or if tailfins will make a comeback on cars. You don't have to do oil painting to do "art," there are many other ways. For instance, silkscreens, wood cuts, pottery -- on and on. I think it's pretty sure that film will be its own subset of the arts and maybe it is better that way. Let the machinegunners and the pretty sunset snappers have their digital-gidgetal boxes and have them leave us alone. And let us not forget the Selfish snappers. I am putting together a kit consisting of a F70 film camera, an 80-200 f2.8 AF zoom Nikkor, a 20mm f2.8 AF Nikkor and a 50mm f 1.4 Nikkor. I won't have to take a back seat to any snapper with this kit. I also have lenses from 18mm to 500 to go with it. And a Sigma Macro lens and maybe a dozen other lens that fit the Nikon. And a brand new (to me) 50-year-old Rolleiflex. Who needs electronic media?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin