Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,654   Posts: 1,623,665   Online: 1078

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Imperfection in a digital age

Now after you've cleaned your digital camera's lens, perfectly retouched every pore and removed every wrinkle, use this new software.

http://petapixel.com/2015/03/12/lens...s/#more-160723

Isn't it ironic?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I certainly hope they included an app to simulate mold between the lens elements, along with one for greasy fingerprints on the final image.
    Maybe they should also include one which simulates the silhouette of a mosquito landing on the film, so they could say they visited Denali,
    when they never left Tuscon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's hilarious. I'm reminded of those people back in the day who would spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their desktop computers with new sound cards, speakers, modems, and audio software, just so they could...

...listen to the radio.

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    UV filter and a little vaseline is a whole lot cheaper. And it stays with my whole "get it right in the camera" philosophy too.
    ".............you don't see no hearses with luggage racks................"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Somebody will spend a few thousand bucks to simulate the look of a three dollar disposable cardboard wedding camera with mayonnaise
    smeared on the lens. That's progress! And then they'll call that creative. Not long ago NG published some digital shots modified by one of those wannabee-cheapo-film apps. They delivered the "look", but so what? My own mother did that with here little box Brownie shot after shot ... and every single image was tilted a bit sideways! She'd look down in the viewfinder, then look at us and say, "smile", and inadvertently twist the camera a bit crooked every single time she pushed the button. Fortunately, PS already have a feature to skew the angle of the image. But it comes with a program that costs a helluva lot more than a box Brownie. Are we having fun yet? Gotta spend way too much money to have fun nowadays. If you don't give your kid a $2000 electronic robot-bulldozer for Christmas, social services shows
    up and takes your kid away. I was perfectly happy getting a free kitten or puppy.

Shooter
    35mm

D. M.

I am waiting for the Decisive Moment app. Everything else is bullfeathers.

It does seem ridiculous but when I shot Hasselblad for 30 years doing portraits I always had a cheap plastic filter over the lens to degrade the sharpness of the lens. This wasn't for soft focus but just for knocking down the sharpness a little.

The interesting/strange thing about photography is we often give great acclaim to tinted, stressed edges, and damaged looking pictures as being somehow art, or arty, but if the exact same picture didn't have those elements it would perhaps be just another mundane shot.

In our minds, somehow, we give credence to the "damaged" print as being special, where the more perfect one of the same shot would be deemed ordinary.

Obviously now with Photoshop and plugins this phenomena is pervasive, and overused and a perfect setup for ridicule.

But go out and take a great picture, make 2 identical exposures and go back to the darkroom and do your best print. Then take the other neg and put it on the floor and grind it with your foot. Then print it, distress it, tint it and show it to your friends. I bet they will rave over the distressed one.
    Last edited by blansky; 03-12-2015 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    In our minds, somehow, we give credence to the "damaged" print as being special, where the more perfect one of the shame shot would be deemed ordinary.
    It's the perceived Mark of the Maker. Even if today that too can now be digitally simulated.

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I am waiting for the Decisive Moment app. Everything else is bullfeathers.
    Snapguy, your comment achieved the order of an extreme, perfected humor (and was also very, very funny). It is not so much because of what you said, but, rather, the inferred implication that there actually will be twenty-somethings who act to embrace such nonsense as real and valid in an artistic sense. Sometimes, yes sometimes, a paper and pencil work just as well. There really are occasions where this is so.

Perhaps we should collectively ask ourselves 'What do we really want?" Do we 'seek out' imperfection because that adds to the effect, or do we 'put up with' imperfection and accept, indeed promote, the unavoidable consequence as sublimation, a new definition of 'art'? Blansky, you hit the nail on the head: "I bet they will rave over the distressed one."

With the 'Decisive Moment' app will Henri Cartier-Bresson merely be included in the tutorial or will he actually be snapping the picture (on a preprogrammed cue)? - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 03-12-2015 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin