Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,744   Posts: 1,670,470   Online: 688

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

back in theathre

After i bought a second hand Leica M7 for taking on vacation (the hasselblad 500 with 3 lenses wasn't that easy to carry around in the mountains...) I decided to start shooting in theatres again what I had been doing in the past. The director told me for some years after I stopped that the new ages with the digital wasn't what it was in the past. But was this the old sentiment, going back to the old days?

I heard that the leica was the ultimate quality blabla.. The best way to find out is to test it yourself. So I did. Prices are still high, but they keep at that level, so buying one, and selling next year wasn't that a big risk. So I did and bought a M7 with a 35 F2 and a 90 F2.

I used tri-x 400 and delta 3200 film. Tri-x at 1600 iso and the delta at 3200 iso for the technicians under the readers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	109182

Yes, I know the 1.4 lenses would have been better but the price increase between the 2 and the 1.4 was to big for me...

Name:	im2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	109183

So I started using this combination. As you may know, light is terrible in theatres with a lot of reds. But i only shoot black/white so I don't mind.
    The rangefinder does the job and when you get used to the manual focusing after 10 rolls of film it gets a joy to play with.

Name:	im3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	109184

Taking the right moment is what I found out that worked for me with this camera. In the past I used an automatic body, but often was still to slow. An negative point is that you have to work hard, to get the right point focused when working manually.

Name:	im4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	109185

What has all this to do with ethics and philosophy you might ask me?
    What happend after I scanned the images and send them to the digital photographer who did the color work (yes we can work together as a team ) is that I got a reply back from him saying:
    "I cannot express myself in words what took me when I looked at the pictures.
    Is it the black/white, the contrast, or that it looks like photos coming out of a archive. I like it!"

A second respons was from a mother asking if the b/w pictures would also be on the DVD because she saw some, and was attracted to it.

If people see the difference themselves and communicate with me about those pictures this makes me happy because it's the result of my hobby what they (and I) like.

Willie Jan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very positive experience for you. Nice story, thanks for sharing.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I liked your images...there is a wonderful timelessness to them. When I lived in NY, I enjoyed the theater, and
    always found images shot in B&W to be the most interesting. Run with it.
    Common Sense is not so common.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago, I played a small on stage role in a community theater production that allowed me the opportunity to photograph during rehearsals. For gear, I used a Leica M2 with Canon 35f2, Nikon F4 with 28f2.8, and Hasselblad with 40 Distagon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like the shadows at the floor very much. It gives a surrealistic image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    I like the shadows at the floor very much. It gives a surrealistic image.
    Yes, theatre lighting can be very dramatic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They're all exquisite but #3 is superb. Nice work. I'd love to see a big glossy print of that one.
    ".............you don't see no hearses with luggage racks................"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I prefer more grain and more skin , muscle and skeleton detail. I think 400 ASA switched to 1600 ASA with tri x and d76 development is way to go. Your photographs looks clinical , I love more organic details and lot dirty. I think everything , every photograph is going to be more clean and doctor apron like. I growed up with newspaper prints which less ink - cheap - more water and lot blurry , dots more disturbed and with lot interaction. I miss 70s newspaper prints more. But you will get lot better with optical prints than scans , thats for sure. You can achieve better results with 50 dollar camera , I saw at gallery. You must work on tri x and optimized development. If you cut the hairs of a hippie , he no longer a hippie , same as leica.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    35mm
    Willie, it looks like someone thinks you overspent on that Leica by quite a bit.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is no such thing overspending on rolls royce but if you dont know how to drive it , if you dont know the difference between rolls engine sound to mercedes sound , if you dont apprencite the difference between rolls leather to toyota plastic , if you dont know the walnut but the poplar , you have no business with rolls. Now willie will sell his leica and buy a nikon f for 10 dollar and spend the remaning money to fuji and ilford but hell he hates kodak.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin