Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,971   Online: 825

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Buchanan
    Greetings,
    This is my first post to this website. I was immediately attracted by this topic as I am the president of a camera club in Sydney, Australia and it is my responsibility to organize the judges for our monthly competitions. The concerns expressed in this thread have been expressed to me personally. I try to overcome them by asking accredited judges (accredited through our state federation of camera clubs), professional photographers and photographic teachers or other professionals involved in photography to judge. Yes, they will each have their biases and it is only one person's opinion but over the course of the year our members are subject to many different opinions about what good photography is. I would like to think that this increases the chances that someone will be inspired/challenged photographically by the experience.
    Regards,
    Susan
    Welcome Susan and well done.
    It is the same way our chairman tries to "work" except for this the last "monthly" of the year. This judge has been evaluating pictures for my club once every year for the last 20 years ! I can't help feeling that something will happen to the minds of the persons involved in such over that time.
    When we look for new judges we have them come and show their work, talk about their photography, or art if it's an artist. It is no quarantee that they are good at evaluating other peoples work, that takes more than being a good imagemaker yourself. You have to put words on what photographs make you feel and much more.
    Susan you are doing the right thing. Keep the flow going
    Regards S°ren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I belive some if not all of you are familliar what happened on last summer Olympic games, I particulary mean what happened in female gymnastic. Beside obvious, and allowe me to say, justified reaction of public, judges gave some very questionable points to some performers. OK, let say that those judges were not corrupted, and those points were not given "politically" (but cinically me, I think that is exactly the case). That means, those judges are, by nature, institutionalized, and simply not ready to react fast and good enough when they find themselves in front of something which is different from things they are used to. For example, you can performe best gymnastic(photograph) act in history, but if you don't include "classical" elements in that performance you will not recive high points form judges. No matter how good you are, you have to play "institutionaly" if you want some institution, and judge IS instituton, to give you positive credit. And as we all know institutions are "giants" and we all know that giants moves slowly (but unstopable). That means it is extremely hard for institutions to accept that rules by they are making theire decisions, and what they learned through theire careers or lifes, simply don't play anymore. In order to mantain theire positions, judges simply must play hardcore and to play with established "classical" rules... It is case in sport, art, and any other aspect in life in which there are some judges to tell what is good or bad. Yes, there are changes, of course, but not fast enough for people who are different, and not get positive feedback from judges.

pmu

Shooter
    35mm
    I heard from one guy, that in the 70┤s / 80┤s when he was in a local photoclub, the brand of your camera was the key to success in monthly "competitions". If you had fex. Olympus, no chance for winning...Nikon shooters took the trophies.

I agree with JDEF.

Why would you want to compete in the first place.

How can photographs compete with each other.

Why do you care what a judges opinion is of your work.

If you want a critique go to people you admire and ask for one.

Personally I find clubs like this a meeting place for losers and political types anyways.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    One of the good and, unfortunately almost unique, aspects of APUG is its lack of judging, voting or ratings. Just look at the photographs and enjoy them or not.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Personally I find clubs like this a meeting place for losers and political types anyways.
    Seems a little harsh. What about people who truly love competition? There are photographers in my club that live for the award. And if that is what they want, great. I don't hear them complaining about those of us that don't follow "the rules", and believe me I've heard my share of critics. Just look at my critic gallery.
    If you don't like the way a club runs itself then leave. Start one that works the way you like. Calling them losers just tells me more about you then it does about them.

OTOH our club has gone to judges outside the realm of camera clubs, including painter, architect, photojournalist and other professions that pertain to the subject that month.

In the end it doesn't matter what others think, if it makes you happy. Unless of course you make your living selling photography, then you have to accept the hardest judges of all, and like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I don't understand competitive photography.

Jay
    I'm with you on this one. A little rivalry at getting the best position for the shot when there's more than one photographer after it is fun. But competing on the finished picture is impossible, look at all the different comments on each print in the galleries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Just don't take it too seriously.
    No judge is neutral, everyone judges by their own preferences, knowledge and philosophy. Everyone. From the common snapshooter to the great artist or curator.
    Just remember that is their opinion and only matters if it matters to you.
    I rarely ask people to judge my photos unless I know and respect them.

In any way, don't let it influence you in a negative way.
    If you don't succed don't let it stop or discourage you.
    If you do succed don't let it get over your head and think "you are it".
    An artist should be a judge of himself/herself and an honest one.
    Underestimating or overestimating yourself can destroy you.

I guess it comes back to the old greek philosophy of "know thyself" and I would add "don't let the bastards get you down" from a t-shirt that I wore as a teenager.

I agree wholeheartedly, I recently took part in a show, which a good and well respected photographer friend of mine said "wow i think you might win something." Just that one line from him gave me all the satisfaction i needed, regardless to the fact that I did not win (the judge awarded all contemporary styles of art, nothing traditional) not winning did not bug me, a respected friend regarded my work highly and that was all i needed.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin