Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,315   Posts: 1,681,917   Online: 836

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

do you give yourself mini projects, short assignments or ?

everyone works in different ways ..
    some give themselves mini-assignments
    ( like the monthly shooting assignemnt here )
    which focuses on DOF, composition, abstraction or whatever ...
    some have a project they work on, like fire hydrants, mailboxes, public seats and
    other "street furniture", or friends, family, strangers in their neighborhood, or the local tavern,
    or movie palace or factory or stuff that is old and rustic and falling apart &c
    still others buy fun gear and play with it, make new developers and play with them
    just have a good time and don't really work in any sort of project or assignment mode ...

what is it that you do?
    have any long or short term projects you are working on or recently finished ?
    have any experiments you have been having fun with ( also includes sensometric/densimetric info gathering ) ...

or are you still deciding what it is you hope to do with your technical/artistic/neither camera-work ( or darkroom work )?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work almost exclusively on projects some longer term than others. The longest has been ongoing for nearly 30 years, the shortest might be a few hours. Some projects I finished and exhibited 20+ years ago get revisited occasionally and I might add new prints.

What little I shoot outside my main projects often provides the kernel for new projects at a later date.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I do sometimes some projects besides my "normal" themes.
    At the moment I'm working in a 8mm film about street markets before they disappear or cine film goes away.
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes - I work on many sub projects of a larger theme. I am about to photograph(solarize) my dogs bones(we have over thirty) a selection of small portfolio boxes black(think 2001 a space odessey) and a toy manufacturer is going to supply me with a rather large selection of their toys.

Each sub topic is photographed with three settings... BW normal process- print solarization, Colour Negative solarization- tri colour gum over palladium- and BW solarization processed neg- scanned- tri colour over palladium.

Never really know what will work or suit my fancy, lots of happy results, each sub project takes me two days to photograph and then process.. Printing is left for a later day.

I try to pick objects that I think I can work into the over all main topic or theme.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only types of assignments I give myself simply involve getting things done, so they have nothing to do with the creative/idea side. I have a long list of photographs to make. They're all detailed out, sketched etc. but I am sluggish about actually "doing" them, so I sometimes need to push myself that way.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The simple fact that they are detailed out or sketched is half the battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    The only types of assignments I give myself simply involve getting things done, so they have nothing to do with the creative/idea side. I have a long list of photographs to make. They're all detailed out, sketched etc. but I am sluggish about actually "doing" them, so I sometimes need to push myself that way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My last project? I could spit nails! Shot a large number of rolls of
    Fomapan R 100 only to find the film
    Discontinued in 36 exposure
    .Didn't even develop the film yet.
    Such are the times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Good point. That's what keeps me going. That, and looking forward to printing. It's the final camera work that is the "drudgery" part for me, so it is sometimes difficult for me to actually get to it. Could be part of the nature of the subject matter. Also my own personality. But delaying too long with urban landscape type stuff can be costly since things change and then your shot is gone after you had it all figured out, metered etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm.

I've been photographing the light and shadow in three sections of the same planted wood for years now .. digital, film, the odd 'phone snap, all formats from 35mm to 10x8, lensed, pinhole, zoneplate ... then printed plain, cyanotyped, salted, lith ... or even just digitised ... I've never thought of it as a project, but there are settings there I want to "capture", and it's become part of my life. From time to time, I'll go back to the same particular tree(s) or patch of ground almost obsessively and take a similar photograph over and over in different light, always trying to get just that feeling ... is that a project?

This year I've become involved in sort of documentations-cum-collaborations with a performance artist (a close friend). It's something I'd like to do more of.

As part of the most recent of the latter, I spent a day testing paper for a piece of work we're doing together at the end of the month - systematically checking out three different types of paper to select just the right one for the event, making the same print a dozen or more times with different sizing, acidification and so on. It was tedious by the end but the test pieces are all retained to form part of the documentation for the event and form part of her archive.

(I can, as a result, wholeheartedly recommend Daler-Rowney Mixed Media pads for cyanotypes 250gsm, very robust, takes endless wet processing well, nice surface (two actually, they're slightly different), washes really quickly, holds the image well and doesn't absolutely require sizing or acidification, though a gelatine size will sharpen it a little bit if that's your bag)
    Last edited by pdeeh; 08-19-2015 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    That's fine for constructed images but can't be done for the majority of the images I shoot where you need to approach the subject (in my case mostly landscapes) with an open mind. Of course you can go back once you know the location with a more preconceived approach, but often I only visit the location once.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin