Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,827   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Here's a neat article.

Someone's probably already posted this, but I couldn't find any evidence of it. I just stumbled onto it and thought it was pretty neat.

http://www.acecam.com/magazine/robert-bruce-duncan.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice Article,

Thanks for posting it!

Carol

Shooter
    35mm

A thoughtful article

I enjoyed the article. Well written and thoughtful is it. I think that there are probably some photographers who will find the opinion of the superiority of tradional B4W films to C-41, as due to tonal rendering, not much to their liking. I use only silver based films and so I feel that I do not have a dog in this fight.

Thank you for posting the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I use only silver based films and so I feel that I do not have a dog in this fight.
    Same here, I just don't see the point in the c-41 stuff. My local camera shop gave me a couple of rolls of it to try a year or so ago and I'm a little ashamed to admit that it's still in the fridge. I looked at some negs from it that they had there and wasn't real impressed. Why mess with c-41 when I can process my own silver based stuff right here - and do it exactly the way I want?

except for the nudes, I thought most of his pictures would look better in color...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link, Bruce. Nice article.

I've seen some of the C-41 stuff. About a month ago, someone in one of the camera clubs I go to brought over their "B&W" prints to show me cause I'm the only one in the club currently shooting B&W. It was obviously C-41... had that telltale green cast. I said "These are nice compositions. Did you buy the film at Wal-mart?" They were shocked that I knew that. I told them about C-41 film and the process, and let them know that if they ever wanted to shoot a roll of true B&W I would be overjoyed to help them develop it & make prints.

It's wierd...I've made this offer to everyone in both clubs and so far... no takers. I'm not that bad, am I Claire???
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Back in the days when I did B&W, I shot a lot of Ilford XP1 (and XP2) in addition to the standard HP5/FP4. I don't really see any issue using C41 process B&W film, to me I felt that it printed out as well as traditional silver based films, using traditional papers. Of course, you really lose the capability of easily adjusting the development times, and you don't get the longevity of silver-based films. My understanding is the new Kodak C41 B&W films have finally solved some of the problems caused by the orange base. These days, though I am sticking with traditional silver based films.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A lot of talk but not much behind it. Not that there's anything new there

One thing that annoys me to no end is writers who make sweeping generalizations about the world based on what they choose for themselves. This is true for zealots of every stripe, whether they be silver-film dogmatists or arrogants teens with a phonecam. And of course, a lot of the work he seems most excited about on his own website is in color.

Sorry, this article was a complete yawner.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the article was a good read, Thank you for posting it. Several
    years back I used a great deal of Ilfords c 41 develop film, of course I did my own processing, they printed and enlarged beautifully. Since I do not like any sign of grain in my photo's I liked that aspect very much. The negatives funky color as far as I could tell did nothing to change the image color when printed on my normal stock paper. (Velour Black from DuPont 8x10 thru 24x30)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've got some C-41 B&W languishing in the fridge too. To me, developing my own is one of the big advantages of B&W, not an inconvenience.

My choices for C-41 are either a (shrinking) variety of mini-labs/drugstores (all of whom apparently have toilets that flush directly into their final wash water), mail order, or a good but distant lab that'll cost me $10 in gas before I'm done. It's far, far simpler to do final wash in distilled water and use a filtered Senrac drier than it is to spend eons Photoshopping out someone else's processor crud.

Plus, 400 speed doesn't appeal to me much. Either I'm trying to get the absolute sharpest, smoothest image I can on a tripod with Tech Pan (or maybe Acros if I don't have 30 minutes per shot, or don't want to waste my precious stash), or I'm pushing Delta 3200 to 12,000 handholding somewhere really dark.
    Last edited by Roger Krueger; 04-11-2005 at 11:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin