Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,956   Online: 942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot depends on where you shoot the drive-in from. A case back several years ago upheld the photographers right to take pictures of buildings if that picture was taken from public property, ie a road, or sidewalk. It was the case that involved the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. For good will purposes I would talk to the owner, and still offer them prints. It keeps everyone happy.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd also advise getting the property releases - and agree with Ed about the necessity of good faith. (You folks keep making me dust off the law degree I try to forget).

Another problem thrown up (and I believe this was the argument in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame case) is a claim by building owners that they have a copyright ownership in the building. In the U.S. 17 U.S.C. 120 specifically denies that claim -

(a) Pictorial Representations Permitted. — The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs, or other pictorial representations of the work, if the building in which the work is embodied is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

I'd keep that in mind in case adjoining property owners tried to complain.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Hm... hadn't thought about grants or anything like that!
    you can find out if any grant money is there for the taking at your planning department. ask if the town/city is a CLG ( certified local government ) if so, they might give you matching funds considering you are doing a documentation of a historic structure &C ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin