Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 833

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    35mm
    If you use a camera and film you are a photographer more matter what your skill level is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey

Well, I looked it up (dictionary.com): Photographer = "someone who takes photographs professionally". Pro Photographer is redundant.

Matt
    Well, Merriam Webster On Line Says:

one who practices photography; especially : one who makes a business of taking photographs.

So, you don't have to be a 'Pro' to be a photographer. And does that make the 17 YO who works the camera down at the Costco, taking pictures for the back of your Costco card a photographer? And me, I studied photography for two years in Boston, I spend a fair amount of time thinking about or working at becoming better with all my photographic equipment and materials, but I have never sold a single print, I am not one?

I look at it like this... I am an engineer (degreed), just not a very good one. I am also a photographer, just not a very good one either.

So I don't know if Blansky thinks I am worthy, or have earned the right, to be a 'photographer', but I think most of y'all have the right to call yourself one, as long as you don't use a Holga. I you use one of them, you are an 'artist'.

tim in san jose (grinning like crazy at this realy weird discussion)
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    So I don't know if ... I am worthy, or have earned the right, to be a 'photographer', but I think most of y'all have the right to call yourself one, as long as you don't use a Holga. I you use one of them, you are an 'artist'.
    One of the best defintitions of an "Artist" I've heard yet!!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Waste of time and money

Quote Originally Posted by akar
    I just read this this morning and it is too appropriate for this thread. From Bill Jay's End Notes in Lenswork #58~

"One of the most bizarre conversations I have held in recent weeks was with a woman who introduced herself as a photographer. She talked a lot about art <SNIP> Eventually she casually allowed that she did not actually use a camera or take pictures. But she often thought about the pictures she could take if she felt like it."

So, Bill, in light of this, about your earlier point that we might be better off talking less and taking more pictures, what's that got to do with photography, really?
    This is the ultimate photography, I have been doing this for years,when I was out without a camera, but so far have been unable to find a way to print them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Bentley, make sure you stand about three feet away from an inkjet printer and concentrate very hard....in the digimagical world anything is possible :-)
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sending a job application today, and you better believe it when I write "I am a photographer" on it! Too bad what the cognoscenti will think, but on that paper, I _am_.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Well, Bentley, make sure you stand about three feet away from an inkjet printer and concentrate very hard....in the digimagical world anything is possible :-)
    Talk about career opportunities... I have a friend who is a biosensor engineer, one who is a ALD process engineer, one who is an astrologer, a few who know enough about inkjet printing to print a book, and a neighbor who works for Adobe. Along with my knowledge of micro-controller architecture and programming, I am SURE there is a product in here somewhere. Just connect this little device up to the jack on your neck, using a bit of wireless technology, we can print anything you have seen anytime in your life.

I'll get back to y'all on ground level stock share buying opportunities.

tim in greater downtown silicon valley, san jose ca
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Talk about career opportunities... I have a friend who is a biosensor engineer, one who is a ALD process engineer, one who is an astrologer, a few who know enough about inkjet printing to print a book, and a neighbor who works for Adobe. Along with my knowledge of micro-controller architecture and programming, I am SURE there is a product in here somewhere. Just connect this little device up to the jack on your neck, using a bit of wireless technology, we can print anything you have seen anytime in your life.

Interesting concept but there are 5th Amendment rights problems here. That would mean that a govt agency could hook this up to you and know about what you have seen and done in your past.

Some things should be left alone.

But homeland security may definately be interested once you get it perfected.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Unskilled labour.

It's a very interesting concept a camera ,containing a two billion unit biominal, electro-chemical computer, that's made by unskilled labour !!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin