Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,413   Online: 896

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the blind wish to participate in photography, that is their choice, just as many disabled people partake in olympic events.
    It is a pity there isn't a 'sound camera', which could single out and capture a particular interesting sound heard by the blind person.

The photographic results on that site remind me of lomography.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy I agree there's no reason why they shouldn't try it, but there is a difference between what people with disabilities do as a "protected community" and what is done for publicly.

In the para-olympics people are over coming their disabilities and competing on even terms. As such they promote a positive image and can over come predudice. However can you imagin a paraplegic competing against say Lindford Christie?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of paralympians are more than capable of giving the likes of Linford Christie etc. a damn good run for their money. Aimee Mullins is one that springs (literally) to mind. Paralympians only compete seperately because they are not permitted to compete in the main Olympics.

See Aimee Mullins here: http://www.gamefaceonline.org/1_3_mullins.htm

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected on the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Sorry if this is preachy. I guess I just didn't like the "tit dragging" and "dick waving" of the comments in this post. Sue me.

Whitey
    My sarcasm has to do with this and other posts of this nature we have had here that discuss art.

My point being, if everything is ART then nothing is art. If every stupid endevor put forth by people, usually trying to make money, or be trendy, is considered Art or passed off as ART then it devalues serious attempts at people doing things of some quality or merit. Hence the Farrah Fawcett example. If laying on a canvas doing boob art is art then so is peeing in the snow.

I respect your feeling for the blind and God knows that with people as visual as we are, that would be a horrible affliction. BUT blind photography to me sounds too much like a gimmick that someone with an agenda is trying to pass off.

I won't sue you if you don't sue me.

MIchael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like exploitation, but it is more likely a stupid waste of time and money.

Why not take the money being used/wasted on blind photography and teach or make available sound recording, editing and playback or sculpture or writing or the creation of scents or my goodness gracious anything that sits within their capabilities to produce and appreciate?

How do the blind critique their photographic work or what is their measure of success?

Pardon my insensitivity, but this just seems absurd.

But as others have said, but not backed up in a way that sways me, I'm not blind so what do I know?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wouldn't rule it out. Many people who are legally "blind" have some residual vision, and I would acknowledge that there could be a conceptual element of photography by the blind that could be interesting.

Enough discussion in the abstract, though. Where is the work? That would be more interesting to discuss than the possibility of the work.

----

Just went back to the site mentioned in the first post. Most of it isn't too interesting, but I like the photograph by John Clarke. He is described as having "poor vision"--so not completely blind--and his photograph is formally interesting and reveals something about his experience.

I know there are other blind photographers, so I'm sure if one looks, there is probably something worth thinking about out there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David as posted at the start of the thread a page or 2 back now
    http://www.rvib.org.au/eventscal/4s...ightLayout.html.

EDIT: Ahh I see you beat me to finding it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I accept and agree that those with bad eyesight can benefit by photography. As dipicted at the linked page, the worse the sight so went the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    [...] but can you honestly tell me that someone who doesn't have the ability to decide what to have for breakfast can at the same time vote in an election or consent to sex? [...]
    Stop it! My sides hurt!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin