Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,255   Online: 810

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That self portrait "My Shadow" was worth the link alone. It beat's Friedlander's portrait of Nina Sarkowski into first place in my pantheon of photographs about photographs.

Photography is about more than objects of reverent contemplation, just as writing is about more than sonnets and shopping lists. The non-standard framing in those blind people's shots is precisely the point. The mundane nature of their concerns is precisely the point. It's an outsider's view of The View - why should we expect it to stick to the rules?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am from Bosnia, and I am war veteran, was wounded and now I am invalid, without possibility to completely control my right hand and fist. I have lost more than 70% of mine right hand function. So I am talking from the stand of person with disability. And talking from that point, I would say that anyone who would invite me to play guitar in hers(his) band, I would call that person insane. That simply would not work. And I think same to blind person photography. For me that sounds like bad joke and like making joke with blind persons. It is insult for blind persons.

P. S. I am European, so I don't have to be "politicaly sorrect"...

Regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be more clear. Someone without both hands can be runner, even football(socker) player, but that person can not be handball or voyelball or basketball player...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

No lawyers necessary

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    BUT blind photography to me sounds too much like a gimmick that someone with an agenda is trying to pass off.

I won't sue you if you don't sue me.

MIchael
    Michael,
    You misunderstand my ire. I am not being sensitive to blind people, I am speaking out about the need to avoid prejudgement.

"Blind Photography," as a concept, is at least interesting. Photography by blind people may or may not be interesting. Speak to the work, not to any fixation on the visual accuity of the artist. Look..., a bad piece of art is a bad piece of art. Pointing a camera in front of you with no idea of what other people will see when they look at the photo sounds like a bad idea, and many of the photos on that site are just plain boring. Individuals with cameras should not all have their work on websites, but this is true of sighted photographers as well as vision-impaired photographers. People who play the "newest thing" game with photographs by blind people are just idiots and shucksters and should be avoided at all costs.

By the way, I am using "vison-impaired" not because it is more politically correct, but because, in the case of most of the good work that I have seen from "blind photographers" the artist could see, but not like you can or I can. They were legally blind. Some of this work, at its best, has been hauntingly beautiful. The fact that the photographer was impaired was not revealed in one case until I had already fallen in love with the work.

To me it's very simple. Speak to the work, not to the artists' advantages or disabilities. That way, we can say something is bad when it is, and praise it when it's good, without the baggage of political correctness or, much worse, pity.

I'll try to retrace my steps to the work I spoke of and post a link, if it's still available. It was part of a show I saw some years ago though, so it may be unreachable. Until then, check this
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...BEBB01.DTL&o=2
    The obviously dismissive attitude in this thread still bothers me, especially when it speaks of what people should not do. Ah, but that's what the ignore button is here for, isn't it?

Wait! Don't push it on my post! Noooooo! I'm not always ranting, honest!

Whitey

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    P. S. I am European, so I don't have to be "politicaly sorrect"...

Regards.
    got room for one more over there?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Beethoven was deaf and still composed music. But, how many deaf composers are here today and was in history of music. And he become deaf at late ages, even he wasn't born deaf and composed deaf all his life, and he composed by imagination and "listening" music in his head, even with mathematical rules of music, by "remembering" of sounds he heard and knew before he become deaf. Why photography is different? Even if photographer can "previsualize" image in his(hers) head, how that photographer can turn camera onto subject, compose, determine exposition, etc... if he(she) can not see the subject?

To be photographer one has to be able to repeadately make photographs of simillar artistic and technical quality. And that quality has to be of, lower or higher but, acceptable level to wide audience which looks at those photographs. If blind person can do that that person can be and is photograppher. If can not, then sorry, but...

At the end, if someone just point camera at many directions and make thousands(millions) of photographs, I am shure that this person will sooner or later "caught" scene which will turn to be good photograph, just by chance and by "law of great numbers(quantity will born quality)". But is that photography? And will that person be able to repeadetly make photographs like that succesful one? If not, is that photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    got room for one more over there?
    Allways, but, wouldn't be better if you can fight (doesn't have to be violent way, but if it has to be...) the position there where you live, so that you don't have to come here, Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    I'll try to retrace my steps to the work I spoke of and post a link, if it's still available. It was part of a show I saw some years ago though, so it may be unreachable. Until then, check this
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...BEBB01.DTL&o=2
    The obviously dismissive attitude in this thread still bothers me, especially when it speaks of what people should not do. Ah, but that's what the ignore button is here for, isn't it?

Wait! Don't push it on my post! Noooooo! I'm not always ranting, honest!

Whitey
    Hey Whitey, I went to the link and read this:

"It wasn't until after Pete Eckert went blind that he really started to see things. "

and then I see what Pete Eckert see after he went blind and I discover that if I unfocuse my camera I can see what he see but still I preserve my vision

(sorry if I miss the subject, remember, english is not my mother tongue)
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't believe we are even discussing this. Geez. Go out and take some pictures eh.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    Well, Beethoven was deaf and still composed music. But, how many deaf composers are here today and was in history of music. And he become deaf at late ages, even he wasn't born deaf and composed deaf all his life, and he composed by imagination and "listening" music in his head, even with mathematical rules of music, by "remembering" of sounds he heard and knew before he become deaf. Why photography is different? Even if photographer can "previsualize" image in his(hers) head, how that photographer can turn camera onto subject, compose, determine exposition, etc... if he(she) can not see the subject?

snip...
    But it is obvious that he was deaf when he wrote the 9th symphony, and that he tried to make it loud enough that even he could hear it!

But a composer is the wrong comparison here. Think performing musician instead. AFAIK there is only one, and she's a percussionist (and a d*mn good one!).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin