Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,160   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Blansky wrote:

"For instance if you shoot in parts of the southern United States you have to print it backwards because that's how the people are."

Michael,

I want you to know that I resent the hell out of this remark. I can just see what is coming. The next thing you'll probably mention is that I married my cousin Maybelle and I have an old washing machine in my front yard.
    ...on the porch, not the front yard. I grew up in Kentucky. I know about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller

The next thing you'll probably mention is that I married my cousin Maybelle and I have an old washing machine in my front yard.
    Donald, we all know that it wasn't your COUSIN Maybelle, she was in fact your sister. Everyone just called her your cousin so that you could stay respectable.

And how about your kids that sit out on the porch all day and night listening to music. Well it isn't really music it's just your idiot daughter Frankie with the tit growing out of her forehead banging an aluminum pail on her head to the tune of Smoke on the Water, while your twin sons ( well we'll call them sons, cause we can't think of what else we would call them-- so close enough) swing back on the forth on the porch swing so hard that they bash themselves into the house like a couple of crash dummies.

And no you don't have a washing machine in your front yard cause there isn't room. The entire disaster area is covered with your awesome collection of old cars and trucks in various stages of rust and decay. But of course you like it that way because nobody will be snooping around looking for the remains of Maybelle who you planted there after you caught her with your brother Skeeter having it on in the front seat of your prized 62 Studebaker, which by the way you've been threatening to restore to its original splendor for the last 25 years.

I'm sorry you're offended but calling you backward is indeed a compliment.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good thing you don't live in Tasmania!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Good thing you don't live in Tasmania!
    Now _THAT'S_ what you call the deep South.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    For instance if you shoot in parts of the southern United States you have to print it backwards because that's how the people are.

Michael
    Only two questions.... Why do you wish to insult me? What terrible thing have I done to you?
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ...For those of us that shoot portraits we run into this a lot. When people see pictures of themselves they are often shocked. They have spent their lives seeing themselves in the mirror (which is of course backwards) and now seeing themselves as others do, is completely different...
    I was contemplating this very thing a few hours ago.

I'm about to take up wetplate collodion and if I make ambrotypes or ferrotypes instead of negatives and subsequent albumen prints, the images will all be mirror images of reality. I was thinking sitters for ambrotypes, tintypes, and daguerreotypes must have been very pleasantly surprised when seeing their likeness on a plate. None of that "It doesn't look like me" stuff modern portraitists have to put up with.

As photographers, how many of us hate to have our own picture taken? Perhaps we subliminally realize there is dissonance in what we perceive in the image and how we feel about the truth quality of Photography when viewing photographs of ourselves vs our familiar mirror images.

For awhile I used a medium-format TLR and could never get used to it. The flipped image might look good on the ground glass, but when I had the print in hand, the composition was usually off and I hardly ever printed anything from that camera until I obtained a prism finder for it.

As far as your dilemma, I suppose you should just go with your gut feeling and print how it looks best to you as an image.

Here's an interesting contemporary daguerreotype by Charlie Shreiner. I got a huge grin out of it.

Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not print in both ways and mount the together on the same mat so that the edges touch one another? Might be very interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald, we all know that it wasn't your COUSIN Maybelle, she was in fact your sister. Everyone just called her your cousin so that you could stay respectable.

And how about your kids that sit out on the porch all day and night listening to music. Well it isn't really music it's just your idiot daughter Frankie with the tit growing out of her forehead banging an aluminum pail on her head to the tune of Smoke on the Water, while your twin sons ( well we'll call them sons, cause we can't think of what else we would call them-- so close enough) swing back on the forth on the porch swing so hard that they bash themselves into the house like a couple of crash dummies.

And no you don't have a washing machine in your front yard cause there isn't room. The entire disaster area is covered with your awesome collection of old cars and trucks in various stages of rust and decay. But of course you like it that way because nobody will be snooping around looking for the remains of Maybelle who you planted there after you caught her with your brother Skeeter having it on in the front seat of your prized 62 Studebaker, which by the way you've been threatening to restore to its original splendor for the last 25 years.

I'm sorry you're offended but calling you backward is indeed a compliment.

Michael
    Yeah Donald,
    Don't despair, though! If you just save up enough money you could get an operation and become one o' them there transtesticles. On your way out of the hospital you could pick up a pair of Birckenstocks (SP?) and decide to stop eating meat and taking showers. After awhile maybe you would find someone who thought you were "deep" enough to front you a couple of pounds of wacky weed. If you should happen onto a used car lot that had an old, rusty VW van you might trade a little of your stash for it. Then you could be on your way to "Wine Country in Northern California!"

At least stereotypes can be a fun double-edged sword!

And I know, I know. I'm moving back to Wyoming and I've heard all the sheep jokes, so please don't hit me with 'em unless it's something new and creative.

Bruce

PS - Thanks for the advice on the Zone VI VC enlarger, Michael. For now I'm going to go with a Metrolux timer (at least, once my move is done and I build my big, fancy new darkroom!) and I will be anxiously awaiting your report on the LED head.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Many etchings - Baroque and rennaisance - are reversals of the original architecture-by virtue of the process-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Why not print in both ways and mount the together on the same mat so that the edges touch one another? Might be very interesting.
    I know a fine photographer doing just that. He flips an 8 x 10, trims and mounts them perfectly to make an 8 x 20 diptych which looks like one photograph. The final effect can be stunning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin