Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,533   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Flipping the negative

I composed a shot, set up the camera, focused it and the backward image on the GG was a much better composition. I felt the lines flowed much better in the reversed state. If this image was not of Animas Forks CO ( a rather well known ghost town above Silverton) I would have no problem printing the neg emulsion side up. The problem is I set out to try and give the viewer a sense of place with this image. Now do I flip the neg and print an inaccurate vision that skews the sense of place for the viewer; or do i stick to reality? Will the viewer, if they were familiar with location, become hung up on the inaccurate portrayal of the location?

I am not asking you folks what i should do. I am just describing the situation I am in. This got me thinking about a problem with photographing a well known subject. I was wondering about your thoughts regarding the following two questions:

Think as a viewer of photographs, not as a photographer (I know it is hard). If you saw a photograph of a building or area that you were familiar with, printed in the reverse, would you get hung up on the innacuracy of the portrayal or would you be able to see past it? DO you feel the average, non-artist/non-photographer would be able to see past the innacuracy of the representation if they were familiar with the location?

Just curious
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

I think it often interesting to use a mirror to view our familiar surroundings and see them in a whole new perspective.

For those of us that shoot portraits we run into this a lot. When people see pictures of themselves they are often shocked. They have spent their lives seeing themselves in the mirror (which is of course backwards) and now seeing themselves as others do, is completely different.

If you are documenting a scene, then you probably shouldn't flop it but if it's your picture and your "vision" then you could print it upside down if you wanted to.

For instance if you shoot in parts of the southern United States you have to print it backwards because that's how the people are.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just my opinion but it's your image your vision.The location image should be a look into how you the photographer sees the place.If the image is done in BW it's already taken partly out of reality,if done in IR even more so-it dosn't make the image less valid.If you made the image in a large pool of water as a reflection only would the image be any less accurate-no because it's how you envision the final image.I say go for it.

just my 2 cents
    Jim
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you have an itch...scratch it...it may feel good!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree it's your image, your vision, your art, your choice ...Flip It !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are rendering a three dimensional subject in two dimensions. You very likely are depicting a color subject in monochrome. So what's so bad about filpping the negative. It's just another form of interpretation.

If you were constrained by rigid documentation rules (a la HABS), then you might have to be more literal. But if you are making art, you can do anything you want to do.

Images
    I was asking if you guys think a viewer would get hung up on the fact that the image of a location they know well is backward.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    .em rehtob t'ndluow tI
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many of the classic paintings of Vienna have buildings reversed or moved around and few people notice. Possibly it will make the pictures more eye catching because many people will know there is something different, but not be able to pub their finger on exactly what.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blansky wrote:

"For instance if you shoot in parts of the southern United States you have to print it backwards because that's how the people are."

Michael,

I want you to know that I resent the hell out of this remark. I can just see what is coming. The next thing you'll probably mention is that I married my cousin Maybelle and I have an old washing machine in my front yard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin