Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,817   Online: 781

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    Some TV show preasurised the inside of a (scrap) 727 to simulate altitiude, then shot a bullet (via remote control) inside the plane - no effect. They then fired it at a window - holed window, no effect. They then used explosives to blow out the window - no window, no other effect. They then used a LOT of explosive, and it finally had a very spectactular effect - however the conclusions were pretty self evident: it takes a LOT more to take down a plane than you might think.

Ian

As has been proved by the Aloha Airlines plane which landed safely after losing a large chunk of it's fuselage in flight. See picture.
    Last edited by Andy K; 06-15-2005 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Small planes are made differently than large commercial jets. The small plane, like a high wing monoplane, has a completely different structure than a 747. The picture Andy posted is a good example of structural integrity. You can see how the keels (similar to the backbone of a ship, longitudinal members to which ribs are connected, then the skin) function without the skin's support.

The aircraft in question had a problem with corrosion, which caused a catastrophic failure of a part of the airframe and skin during flight. It's amazing to me that the ship didn't fold and crash on landing, but I would wager a large stout against a small pilsner that the pilot's pucker factor was 10.0 on touchdown. tim

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin