Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,411   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I think in Holland that the source of the myths is years of devotion to Amstel & Heineken. It takes a lot of work to create theses ideas...all myths aside.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The old 112 and 116 folders by Kodak were "postcard" cameras, I believe.

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a significant difference in results between positive and negative films, with slides being the only choice for sharpness and longevity. However, negative films allowed one to have prints to share at much less cost than prints from slides. (Slides were also the least expensive way to take photos unless you did your own B&W.) The expense of processing was the reason my father decided his 11 yo son needed a developing kit with a contact printer for christmas!
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never heard of having two different cameras for negative and slide film - at least not intentionally. A lot of people carried two or more camera backs of the same type and brand - one for each type of film used, color negative, slide or B&W. By carrying identical backs one could use the other system items interchangebly - lenses, flash, motor drives, etc.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I still get asked if I'm using a color camera. When I tell these people that I am doing B&W, they always ask if the camera will do color too. Many of these askers are not old enough to remember the 50's or 60's.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    There was such a thing as a "postcard" camera at one time (no kidding) that shot negatives in postcard format (I forget exactly what the dimensions were), but somehow I suspect that's not what people are asking about with your 5x7".

Here's a page on postcard format cameras--

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/postcard.shtml

on several occasions i have been within the last bid of buying a mandelette post card camera, but was always outbid at the last second it was always that and a gaumont stereo camera ... but that is a different thread --

the mandelette did not take film, but paper ( direct positive paper ), from what i have been told and read. they were made just before world war 1. way it worked was the paper was stacked in the back of the camera and there was a light proof "development tank" below the camera. the operator made the exposures and stuck his arm in the sock which allowed for the exposed paper to be removed and stored/ developed below the camera in the tank.

often times the appear on FEEbay without the tank or the device for inside the camera that held the stack of paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once knew a Belgian photographer who carried two LF cameras, one for colour and one for B&W (I think this is how a Dutch joke would go, woudn't it ?)

I too always carry two cameras. They are both loaded with the same B&W film. I use the first for the good pictures and the second for the bad ones. This hleps me with my development, because I don't have to develop the films made with the second camera, I throw them away as soon as I'm back home. This way, I have only good pictures on the films I develop... clever, huh ? :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    george, that is a great idea, i think i am going to start doing that.

S.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    even some of the "pros" carried two cameras, one b&w the other color, usually slide film.

When i did use color it was only slide film, not negative film.

With 35mm there was no such thing as changeable backs, so we were stuck with 2 different bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get mythty-eyed thinking about it, but I use a black M6 body for B&W and a chrome body for, well, chromes.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    I get mythty-eyed thinking about it, but I use a black M6 body for B&W and a chrome body for, well, chromes.
    Ah, is that why you can get a refurbished Kiev in such fancy colors - so you can shoot color film with it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin