Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 653

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One of the dutch subscribers to apug sells B&W films, papers and chemistry. But he has a dayjob in a computer manufacturing plant. He recently assured me that digital is way more toxic than B&W analog, because the manufacturing of digital equipment involves masses of VERY toxic chemicals and waste.

Aside from the silver in used fixer, all other normal B&W chemicals are harmless if disposed off intelligently. I don't know if this is true for color processing or toners too.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    As for the 2% glacial acetic acid, your stomach produces an acid that is far more potent and toxic. I would not reccomend drinking the glacial acid,
    Vinegar is about 4% acetic acid. No one is stressing about the environmental impact of condiments!

(though of course in the case of stop bath there's no telling what the other 98% is so putting it on fries could be very bad...)

Interestingly the term glacial is because in it's pure state it freezes at just below room temp...

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selenium in shampoo

Have you ever looked at a bottle of dandruff shampoo? Selsun Blue if I remember right has 2% selenium sulfide in it as an active ingrediant. It smells just like my toner and they want you to put this stuff on your head?
    If someone washed their hair with that every day they would have way more Selenium in their system than from toning a batch of prints once in a while, pluse it would all go right down the shower drain.
    Ever since I saw that, I don't worry too much about selenium toner which I use only once in a while while waring gloves and exhosting it before disposal.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your really concerned about the environment ... then don't take your car out to get to shoots. For street shooters the train or bus is a great source of potential material as well

Images
    I would love to see a rating sheet featuring commonly used household solutions, drain cleaners, acids, bug sprays, lime and rust disolvers, bleaches detergents etc. compared to home darkroom solutions.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A highly toxic and most probably contagious substance is homo sapien fecal debris. Without it some archeologists would have no evidence to recreate a society from. We are in a conundrum. Do we or don't we? Personally I will flush my toilet as opposed to other means of disposal.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    A highly toxic and most probably contagious substance is homo sapien fecal debris. [...]
    I laughed so hard it hurt! Great thread killer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    for plating out silver, you can also use copper flashing, or just get a drum and dump your chemicals in there to wait for the water to evaporate, the sludge will have silver in it. i have all my photo-waste hauled away. waste haulers are listed in the yellow pages and it cost something like 30$ to pick up, and you get a check for the recovered silver which is about 20$.

dumping spent fixer into a septic system does a number on the bacteria that gobble up the "stuff" that goes in there, much the same way dumping a whole bunch of diswashing liquid or laundry detergent or cooking oil would do. heavy metals( photochemicals) in your ground water, or garden or stream if you live near a watershed is not a good thing. here's a little experiment --- get a fish tank and dump some chemicals in there to see how long the fish survive, probably not too long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deficate in the fish tank, and i doubt those same fish would last long either.
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    get a fish tank and dump some chemicals in there to see how long the fish survive, probably not too long.
    To be proportional, it would have to be a tiny fraction of a mililiter of photo solutions in a very large fish tank. On the other hand, imagine how many hundreds of gallons of fertilizer, weed killer and bug killer an average Golf Course dumps directly into the ground in a season.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin