Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,745   Online: 950

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Oh man! That reminds me, I need to start puting my DNA on the back of my prints like that "painter of light" guy. I'm going low tech though...just gonna tape a hair off my head to the back of the mounting board.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just like in the antique world... a COA is only as good as the next forger. True, many fine artists do provide them with their work, but it is rare to see one physically attached to the piece. On the mount or in an envelope attached to the back of a frame is the most typical.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I have seen a great many fine art prints from the past, that have certificates of authentisity on the back of them, in fact I just bought an Adams the other day that had one, I don't know that a sticker is the way to go, but as we discussed a few months ago, I do think that in the future, it will be quite wise to have something to designate a true silver print, as opposed to what ever new technology comes along.
    Just my opinon.
    Dave
    I agree. A certification to establish/ determine authenticity is to me, a good idea .. and I really cannot see any "downside" to applying one to the back of a print. Why on earth would I want to hide the fact that I made the work? Isn't it a prime sin to not take pride in one's work?

I have bad memories of felt-tip marking bleeding through and ruining prints. Possibly there could be some non-invasive, non-removable label stock (like price sticker/ calibration labels) that would be appropriate.

And, yes ... I would be happy to include some reference to my involvement in APUG while I was at it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Oh man! That reminds me, I need to start puting my DNA on the back of my prints like that "painter of light" guy. I'm going low tech though...just gonna tape a hair off my head to the back of the mounting board.
    Just be carefull..don't want to make to many prints or you will go bald....

Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Boy, this is really not an issue as far as I can tell. And I'm sure not going to put a sticky label on an OBVIOUSLY hand crafted print as a certificate of authanticity. If someone looking at a print of mine needs to ask if it is digital or analog, then they shouldn't be looking at photographs.

Just my 2 cents.
    Well, see the problem is that it is not so obvious anymore. I recently bought a print on E bay and it is obviously a digital print, but the reason I say "obviously" was because of the blue tint the print had and the paper that it was printed on. It looks like a Dye sub print and I am thinking it will fade in a few years, but let me tell you, if this print had a more neutral color and I was unable to handle it I would not have been able to tell it was a digital print.

I also have a digital print by Brian, it is a silver print from a digital file made with a lambda. You cannot tell this print from a print made with a negative, it is fiber base paper and there is absolutely no digital artifacts on the print.

The only prints that are obviously digital are those made by ink jet. By their peculiar look one can tell right away, but let me tell you, some of the hibrid processes out there are getting to be very hard to tell apart. I suspect many of us dismiss this because we get to see only ink jet print, and many of those not very good at that, but those doing excpetional work with hibrid processes are making it very hard to tell.

In the final analysis does it really matter? Hard to tell, on one hand I think if one is out there long enough people will beguin to recognize and know how one prefers to work, otoh, I would have liked to be told the print I bought was a dye sub print or an ink jet print, even if I only paid $20 dollars for it...but then I guess the price should have been an indication.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I was to put a CoA on my prints, it would be to prove that it's mine, not whether it's analog or digital.
    Perhaps one day a print with my name might actually mean something. (better hang on to those exchange prints)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Just be carefull..don't want to make to many prints or you will go bald....

Good point...what do you do after the curly ones are gone? I said "sticker" because it would be a lot less complicated than a stamp...

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    If I was to put a CoA on my prints, it would be to prove that it's mine, not whether it's analog or digital.
    Perhaps one day a print with my name might actually mean something. (better hang on to those exchange prints)
    Part of the COA would be the process that the print was done in and by who..

Dave

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use a stamp on the back of the mat that tells the neg file # the name of the print copywright and date and it has a place for me to sign it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually do sign and title on the back of the mount in the center. I also will sign in lower right corner below the print on th emount so that if the person framing wishes my sig to be visible it can be. Had a stamp made when I 1st started and discovered it would never dry so gave it up. You don't happen to have a link to the company that made your stamp do you lee?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin