Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,731   Online: 850

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Oh man! That reminds me, I need to start puting my DNA on the back of my prints like that "painter of light" guy. I'm going low tech though...just gonna tape a hair off my head to the back of the mounting board.
    Why take off the top, what grows wild, (and renewable) in other places?
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    I'm going to hanging a show soon and I am definitely making sure that every piece of publicity and the brochures make it absoutely clear that everything on the walls will be analog. First, I want casual viewers to recognise that there is a distinction and appreciate the difference and second, I'd like those who already recognise the distinction to know that if they come to see it, they are not going to arrive at a photography show only to find a room full of inkjet prints of Photoshopped computer image files. I've certainly been disappointed that way in the past and wished that I hadn't wasted my time.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OK - bear with me as I'm such a computer rookie, hope this works...mrcallow is trying to find a definition of what an anolog photographic image is for the APUG Conference 5K Print Competition, here;

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum171/16493-needed-many-forms-analog.html

There are obviously too many ways to define what an analog photograph is. Perhaps we should say...

"Analog photographic images are made with materials/methods/equipment available before, and or, are analogous to materials/methods/equipment used prior to (insert date when digital imaging technololgy were first introduced). Any introduction of digital technologies on an image taken prior to or after this date, in any aspect of the imaging making process, voids said image of being considered analog".

Can the many lawyers on APUG jump in to help?

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 06-25-2005 at 12:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: lawyer-speak is a trial...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I include a tri-fold brochure with all my mounted and framed prints. I design the brochure in Microsoft Publisher and it spells out how the image was made (camera, film), how the print is made (Fuji Crystal Archive), how it is mounted (Nielsen & Bainbridge Artcare™ Archival System), how it is framed, type of glass used in the framing, and tips on hanging and caring for the print. I print these out on my genuine Epson ink jet printer (see they are good for something). Yes, it takes a bit of extra work, but, I am striving to present an image of quality.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We need a definition of analog - this is what I dredged up from www.wikipedia.org :

"An analog (American English spelling) or analogue (British English spelling) signal is any continuously variable signal. It differs from a digital signal in that small fluctuations in the signal are meaningful".

Techno-speak in the support of art...LOVE IT!!!

Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"What do you think of the idea that Sean makes an archival "APUG.org Oath/Certification" sticker that could be applied to the back of a finished work which states unequivocally that the image was created, by hand, through 100% analog means? "[/COLOR]

Are you serious? I think people would ask, "what the heck's analog?".
    At the end of the day a crap hand printed film based photo, is well a crap hand printed film based photo.
    The quality is in the final result, let your photographs speak for themselves, if people want to know about your technique or process they will ask.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"An analog (American English spelling) or analogue (British English spelling) signal is any continuously variable signal. "[/COLOR]

Don't you mean (American English spelling) and (English spelling)?

I've never liked the description 'analogue photography', and I'd never heard of it before I came across APUG. Prefer film based photography, or traditional photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought you people might be interested in seeing this gallery of the work of the photographer Frank Sadorus, he wrote his process on the back of his images.....

the idea that people would know what the process used was years later might be true, but nothing beats seeing it writen by the photographer

http://webdev.museum.state.il.us/ism...farm&begin=144

http://webdev.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/art/sadorus/
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great link!

I usually just write in pencil on the back the type of print... usually silver gelatin, and whether it's been toned, plus my name and the year. Or, if it's mattted, I'll write it on the back of the mat board. Seems like enough...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Polish painter, photographer, writer, and dramatist, S. I. Witkiewicz ("Witkacy") would write the combination of drugs he was taking on the front of his portraits (not photographs--usually in pastel). I think this would be the most scientifically and archivally sound way of preserving this information.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin