Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,260   Online: 792

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

An APUG.org Oath/Certification?

Do you put anything on the back of your prints or mounts to let people know how your images are made? Do you say "100% analog"? Do you say "100% hand made"? Do you say "non-digital"? Do you use some other terminology? Do you say nothing? Why? How will people in the future know?

I ask this because, historically speaking, photography is obviously in a period of transition. New photographic imaging methods will appear and disappear as technology advances in the future...how do we seperate ourselves from the thundering herd? Todays digital technology may be yesterdays 8-track-equivilant. We need to somehow distinguish ourselves (and this is my best, feable analogy) because there will always be those that prefer a hand stiched quilt to one made by sewing machine even though on first cursory glance they may appear to be identical.

Lost in the mists of time (and in the kazillion posts I've read on APUG in the last six months) someone here said they would rather tell people what their images *are* rather than what they aren't. I like that idea.

What do you think of the idea that Sean makes an archival "APUG.org Oath/Certification" sticker that could be applied to the back of a finished work which states unequivocally that the image was created, by hand, through 100% analog means? I really believe APUG could take a leadership role in this. We are a growing Earth encircling force of like minded photographers...there is power in that. Do you think this is a good idea? How would APUG protect itself from fraud? What penalties for lying?

Should the sticker state in as few words as possible what a 100% analog photographic image is? Can you give a definition? Should it simply be a logo with a link to "The Oath" on APUG.org? Is this possible?

Murray

Either the work stands on its own as crafted in traditional materials or it doesn't. Handmade black and white is obviously what it is to anyone who cares. So is digital. Where is the issue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those collectors who care will know... just like a collector of fine fabrics can tell the hand-stitch from the machine stitch and a patterned tatting from a unique one, a photographic collector will tell the difference between a silver gelatin or platinum/palladian print from a gicleeeeeee or ultrachorme and dye subs.
    -Brad

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    We need to somehow distinguish ourselves (and this is my best, feable analogy) because there will always be those that prefer a hand stiched quilt to one made by sewing machine even though on first cursory glance they may appear to be identical.
    Murray

P.S. (added later) thedarkroomstudios - you scooped me! This was meant to appear under Tom Duffy's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't believe in catering to the lowest common denominator... if they can't tell then they either don't care or are simply following the lemmings to the cliff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy, this is really not an issue as far as I can tell. And I'm sure not going to put a sticky label on an OBVIOUSLY hand crafted print as a certificate of authanticity. If someone looking at a print of mine needs to ask if it is digital or analog, then they shouldn't be looking at photographs.

Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Boy, this is really not an issue as far as I can tell. And I'm sure not going to put a sticky label on an OBVIOUSLY hand crafted print as a certificate of authanticity. If someone looking at a print of mine needs to ask if it is digital or analog, then they shouldn't be looking at photographs.

Just my 2 cents.
    You say this now based on todays digital images...what of those in 50 years? I think there is good reason to have some sort of confirmation my images are *hand made*.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    You say this now based on todays digital images...what of those in 50 years? I think there is good reason to have some sort of conformation my images are *hand made*.

Murray
    Fine, put your labels on you photographs. Maybe something embossed with glitter to reflect a sparkle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen a great many fine art prints from the past, that have certificates of authentisity on the back of them, in fact I just bought an Adams the other day that had one, I don't know that a sticker is the way to go, but as we discussed a few months ago, I do think that in the future, it will be quite wise to have something to designate a true silver print, as opposed to what ever new technology comes along.

Just my opinon.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i'd be careful ... "sticker-glue" will bleed into the print ...

i'd make a stencil and use a "soft" leaded pencil,
    or put a piece of cellophane with words to burn them into the print

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin