Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,082   Online: 1088

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it or not?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    If one does photography to please a client or customer, the end result is all that matters. If one does photography to please oneself, the entire process matters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cnmne
    If one does photography to please a client or customer, the end result is all that matters. If one does photography to please oneself, the entire process matters.
    AMEN.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cnmne
    ditto
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What happens if you look on yourself as your own client? You work for your client as if you were working for yourself? You work for yourself as if you were working for a client?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "It is the final image that matters, not the process that created it."

Mark,
    I know you asked this question with the thought of digital vs analog....

But what if you turn it to two analog processes instead, say a silver contact print vs. a Pt/PD print? does that change your answer?

That is a question that has haunted me for a long time.
    And MY answer (for now) is the final image is all that matters. That's why I contact print from in camera negatives. Others see the world differently, thankfully.

and that may explain why there are so many flavors of ice cream.
    Different people will think different things are best.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like a music analogy on this one. If you listen to a work written for a particular solo instrument by Bach, the music is so secure in its' essence that it can be rendered quite well on almost any other instrument. But if it matters to you that one of his cello suites needs the sound of a cello, performance on saxophone just ain't gonna cut it. But you have to have experienced a performance (preferably a live one) on cello in the first place for it to matter.

People will continue to photograph rocks, roots, trees, dunes and people for instance, as long as there is light to make it worthwhile. How acceptable the end result is to the viewer depends, I think, on his previous experience with various mediums. Let's be sure we continue to make our traditional photographs so appealing that it WILL matter how it was produced because it will have a 'look' that cannot be truly replicated any other way.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    But what if you turn it to two analog processes instead, say a silver contact print vs. a Pt/PD print? does that change your answer?
    It would not change my opinion. I think one should choose the process that when the totallity of the print is considered (both content and process) it is an integral part of the photograph. Since I have done both, I know my pt/pd prints do not look the same in silver and they dont have the same feel and look. In fact I dont like them in silver.

Some people's style and vision are better suited for silver, some are better suited for pt/pd, like a painter that chooses oil, or acrylic or water color, one should choose what makes the print "speak" better.

I have no doubt in my mind the process does matter, at least to me or I would not be doing what I do....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets say you have 2 identical wooden figurines. On was handcrafted over a period of hours if not days by a craftsman who spent a good deal of his life mastering the art. The other was processed formed in China by some assembly line worker making 15 cents an hour. Assuming the method of production is known, which do you think commands a higher price? Obviously value is determined not only by the final result. If I told you that I recently traveled 600 miles I think your impression would vary greatly depending on whether it was by plane, automobile or foot.
    Last edited by Daniel Lawton; 06-27-2005 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Losse

That is a question that has haunted me for a long time.
    And MY answer (for now) is the final image is all that matters. That's why I contact print from in camera negatives. Others see the world differently, thankfully.

No no no no no...

The image is important. And the image might be able to be rendered in various medium with differing moods, different timber, subtle changes in overall texture and feel for an image. But...

As a amature, the process is where it's at. I won't cut any corners, knowing that everytime I look at that image, I'll feel cheated that I didn't do it right. It certainly won't ever become an image that warms my heart. As such, why bother?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    it all depends on your definition of "final"

• some people say it's the piece of paper (or metal, whatever).
    • some people say it's the symbolically-presented meaning of the marks on the paper
    • some people say it's the idea of holding a piece of paper that represents some symbolic chain of events

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin