Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,118   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Our analog brains

I thought this quote from Slashdot was fun:

Roland Piquepaille writes "We're using computers for so long now that I guess that many of you think that our brains are working like clusters of computers. Like them, we can do several things 'simultaneously' with our 'processors.' But each of these processors, in our brain or in a cluster of computers, is supposed to act sequentially. Not so fast! According to a new study from Cornell University, this is not true, and our mental processing is continuous. By tracking mouse movements of students working with their computers, the researchers found that our learning process was similar to other biological organisms: we're not learning through a series of 0's and 1's. Instead, our brain is cascading through shades of grey."
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    our brain is cascading through shades of grey."
    So that's why i prefer black and white to color!

S.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sometimes it amazes me how long it takes for science to find out the earth is not flat when just looking at the horizon reveals that it is not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That what science is all about:
    Spending millions of hours and money to research are re-discover things we already know then just stick a label that says: "Approved by Science".
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought this quote from Slashdot was fun:

we're not learning through a series of 0's and 1's. Instead, our brain is cascading through shades of grey.[/b][/u]"
    More like a slide ruler than a digital computer. For those interested William Power wrote a book in the mid 70's titled Behavior the Control of Perception about the analog brain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That what science is all about:
    Spending millions of hours and money to research are re-discover things we already know then just stick a label that says: "Approved by Science".
    Not the point. Point is you have to prove something to someone who doubt in "things we already know". That is science all about. Oh, and of course to say "Look I am more clever than rest of you people, because I am scientist"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha! that explains why a slide ruler is so intuitive and awesome as a calculator!
    I love the circular ones

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    More like a slide ruler than a digital computer. For those interested William Power wrote a book in the mid 70's titled Behavior the Control of Perception about the analog brain.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "...many of you think that our brains are working like clusters of computers."
    Many avid slashdot readers, maybe. Anyone who's paid even the slightest attention to philosophy and neuroscience, no.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    127 Format
    A neuron either fires or doesn't... A 1 or a 0. There are lots of them, an they don't work sequentially but they're esentially either on or off.

A bit like a silver halide crystal - it either get's developed or it doesn't - thats a 1 or a 0 too... (but there are lots of them arranged more inteligently than in a digital sensor).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While it true that a single neuron is either off or on, neural pathways are comprised of bundles of neurons and it is the number of neurons that are firing (transmitting a signal) that determines the power of the signal which eventual results in a behavior or cognitive activity. The chemical process that leads a neuron to fire is also analog. In a rear instance the firing of a single neuron may start a cascade of neurons firing, but for the most part the firing of any one single neuron has has no meaning for the system. Without the development of as many silver halide crystals as are required to create a pattern that provides visual image and useful information the development of a single crystal is meaningless (in terms of creating useful information).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin