Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,079   Online: 1133

View Poll Results: What motivates you?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Appreciation

16 40.00%
  • Attitude

8 20.00%
  • Effort

4 10.00%
  • Encouragement

5 12.50%
  • Excellence

19 47.50%
  • Innovation

9 22.50%
  • Leadership

3 7.50%
  • Service

6 15.00%
  • Success

11 27.50%
  • Teamwork

6 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    While those are all nice things, none of them motivates me at all.

I know this will sound either depressing or pathetic, but what motivates me most is sadness and pain, and the need to express it.

Most of my favorite work has been done during the darkest periods of my life. I think the need and ability to express otherwise 'unbeautiful' emotions is an incredible motivator. I can either internalize everything and let it eat me alive, or I can use light, film, and my eyes and hands to express it in a tangible way.

While I am motivated by love, beauty, honesty, intelligence, courage, clarity, and wisdom...... it's sadness that moves me to create.
    Very Interesting.

Although this isn't my motivation but a lot of artist and musicians are moved to create by pain and sadness.

It's paradoxical that by expressing themselves in artistic ways they ease the pain and sadness and by doing so remove their motivation to create.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What "motivates" me? Nothing on the list. It could be an idea from reading something, some sort of accidentnal "seeing" of an image - a word spoken by... ?? I am entranced (!!) by those of the opposite gender -- mainly through their personalities ...

To tell the truth .. I don't really know. I'm not even sure that finding that "knowledge" would be desirable...
    Spontaneity is *wonderful*... as are unexpected discoveries....

Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Oh heavens... as a former Quality Manager, whose job it was to get people to "play nice together," I have to say that those posters as misguided attempts at motivation. If you want to motivate people you must spend some time getting to know what motivates them, and being honest with them. Needless to say, I was very good at my job, but very unorthodox... I tended to make management a wee bit uneasy. haha
    You too, huh!!

I was nearly crucified at one of those innumerable "Motivational" sessions ... They result in the "zombiefication" of those attending. I finally "cracked":

"I have HAD IT with all this talk! We have been talking and planning, and giving out trinkets, for three years! When the hell do we get to the "DO"? Everyone in this room knows exactly what is needed. Give us the tools and AUTHORITY to do what we know should be done, and you will have a marvellous, shining Quality System in place within a week! We are *Executives* here! Damnit, let us EXECUTE!"

Not well received. Management decided to continue as they were ... talking - with 30% (THIRTY PERCENT) of finished product going out the door DOA on initial set-up.

I *LOVE* the post by MattCarey about "mailing to the creator of Dilbert"!! Dilbert is funny because the situations there ARE so close to the truth!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Those posters make my ass twitch......... But, sadly enough, fear, is probably my main motivator.

I fear being alone, so, I treat my girlfriend better and I try not to be such a selfish pig.
    I fear being a crappy father, so I am motivated to be honest, trustworthy and nuturing as much as possible.
    I fear failing as a photographer and the only way I can fail, is to give up or become complacent or just blow it off, like I am prone to to do from time to time.

I am rarely motivated. I usually spend more time reading about photography and dreaming about photography than I do practicing photography. Like most things in my life... However, in a pinch, I always come through. SO, I tend to put myself in over my head... I am always behind on everything but that is the only way I get anything done at all. I can make the impossible, possible but I make the easy things, way too hard...

Please, do not let me girlfriend know I admitted these things.......

Shooter
    35mm
    Dessert.

Shooter
    Large Format
    None of the items listed would motivate me on iota if I felt like it was being given insincerely. On the contrary, if somebody is trying to motivate by offering any of these, I am very likely to be completely demotivated. maybe, even motivated to rebel.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Vacation!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I’m drivin’ in my car
    And a man comes on the radio
    And he’s telling me more and more
    ‘Bout some useless information,
    S’posed to fire my imagination...

As if tempting us with an unnaturally perfect but tasteless apple, the images are icons of the ideology of advertisements. ‘Meretricious’ is today’s word*. Commodified (“The process, then, is simply this: the product becomes a commodity...”). Ideological castles built out of the debris of social discourse. Enough clichés for now.

Best,
    Helen

*showily but falsely attractive
    Last edited by Helen B; 07-01-2005 at 06:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    You too, huh!!

I was nearly crucified at one of those innumerable "Motivational" sessions ... They result in the "zombiefication" of those attending. I finally "cracked":

"I have HAD IT with all this talk! We have been talking and planning, and giving out trinkets, for three years! When the hell do we get to the "DO"? Everyone in this room knows exactly what is needed. Give us the tools and AUTHORITY to do what we know should be done, and you will have a marvellous, shining Quality System in place within a week! We are *Executives* here! Damnit, let us EXECUTE!"

Not well received. Management decided to continue as they were ... talking - with 30% (THIRTY PERCENT) of finished product going out the door DOA on initial set-up.

I *LOVE* the post by MattCarey about "mailing to the creator of Dilbert"!! Dilbert is funny because the situations there ARE so close to the truth!
    It's like Deja Vu all over again! hahaha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like I'm browsing through the "bla-bla" mission statement of a silicon valley e-net start up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL

I see no one clicked on my "Motivation" thumbnail. I thought it was relevant...

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin