Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,081   Online: 786

View Poll Results: What motivates you?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Appreciation

16 40.00%
  • Attitude

8 20.00%
  • Effort

4 10.00%
  • Encouragement

5 12.50%
  • Excellence

19 47.50%
  • Innovation

9 22.50%
  • Leadership

3 7.50%
  • Service

6 15.00%
  • Success

11 27.50%
  • Teamwork

6 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    LOL

I see no one clicked on my "Motivation" thumbnail. I thought it was relevant...

Art.
    ?????????????????

I beg to differ... I sent that one (alnog with Jorge's) to all of my workmates today! My boss especially liked it (Jorge's that is)...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Talent. Others I admire tend to incite me to aspire to greater things.
    If others can do it, so can I (if I want to).
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All this, plus the immediate availability of Minor White's Rites and Passages has drawn me to consider one question about my photography ... WHY?

I do know that it is an important part of me: that doing photography feels a lot better than not doing photography... but Why?

I've taken it upon myself to write an essay of that motivation. It is definitely one of the most difficult tasks that i've ever tried in my life. I have absolutely NO assurance that I will succeed; and it may well be "better" if I do not.
    -Yet the very act of internal verbalization and the physical activity of recording those thoughts on paper (see Carlos Castenada) , I am certain, will be of particular value.
    This is not for an "Artist's Statement) ... I've written that I would rather have the work speak for itself ... although a brief description -- poem? may accompany specific works when I deem their presence to be of value in enhancing the perception of the work. It will be an introspective tool. It may be that no one else will ever read it .. I don't know -- it will, undoubtedly reveal a great deal about my "innards"... to me - or whoever. I'll decide on the level of privacy I wish to keep after I complete the essay - or as with a lot of my work ... simply decide that it is time to stop and move on.

Rites and Passages has - is having a significant effect on my consciousness -- this is interesting:

"All that has to be said, but it must also be said that only a secular intellectual could think that it was particularly important. White's experience told him that intelligence does not necessarily involve learning, that in fact learning, because it can be accomplished with only the head, and because it is so easily confused with understanding, may often be treacherous. Wisdom to him involved the whole being --- head, heart and senses --- not just a part: enlightenment could come through boot-blacking as well as it could through biophysics."

Hmmm. Lots more to go... and lots more to come.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Echhh. Corporate culture. Echhh.
    Are we motivated to be critical of others?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What motivates me? It took quite a while to figure out but now I am sure that the motivation is the aliveness that permeates my body mind and soul when in the flow of creation.
    Being high in a healthy way. If I don't photograph for a while I feel sick, tired, depressed. When I load film and go for a spin I feel a rush of vitality flowing through all of myself. Mi mind gets sharp, my feelings get intense and to the point, my body fills up with energy... My soul smiles and feels grateful to be alive.

I think it is in Art and Fear that I read that artists go to work when the pain of not working exceeds the pain of working. Makes sense?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am motivated to express what I feel in images as I struggle in most other forms of communication. I also know that I haven't got there yet which keeps me trying.

I used to take photographs to record what I was seeing/living etc. Now I want to make photographs to show a little bit of the inner me to the rest of the world (or those willing to look)

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    For Cheryl...

"The happy years are the lost, the wasted years. One must wait for suffering before one can work."

Marcel Proust

Nothing more effective for clearing one's mind of daily trivia to make room for real work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    nothing....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin