Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,945   Online: 940

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Philosophycal...

Hi to all,

Lately I often have next thing on my mind: I find myself thinking that people who use auto focus/auto mettering cameras and especially digital, are not "real photographers". Please, don't get me wrong. I use AF/AE camera, and I have digital camera, but lately find that I would really love to sell all of that and use basic gear. I wouldn'd be surprised if I get myself 20x25cm camera, Weston meter and contact copy printer. I am 36 years old firmly on ground person, and I know this can sound very fullish. But I have these thoughts more often that I would like.

Did any of you people have ar have had simmilar thoughts? Any thoughts about this issue?

Or am I getting older and wants to slow down in my life and in photography...

P. S. Please, I don't want to start another auto vs manual or film vs digital fight. This is not about that. This is about wandering through styles and ways of thinking, not about equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use AF/AE a lot and I consider myself a photographer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I use AF/AE a lot and I consider myself a photographer!
    Thats because of your Holga....... right
    I must say that to me it doesn't matter whether its Auto everything or not I am still (not) a photographer. Its just a tool and sometimes you need the "out of focus" feature and AE.
    Cheers Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like I said, this was not about equipment or who is or is not a photographer. This is about changing of approach. I already said me too use AF/AE camera. What I wanted to say, is my subconcous need for returning to basics somethnig naturall and something you all went through or it is just me. An yours overall thought about rejecting automatism and returning to basics. That is essence of my post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found lately that I use manual cameras more and more. It slows me down, REALLY makes me look at what I'm photographing. I usually take one or two readings with a hand held light meter, and keep the camera set there unless the light changes. I have two rangefinder cameras, and one 35mm slr with all the bells and whistles.

Occasionally, however, I find the slr is the right tool. I shoot a lot of children's portraits, and I find the quick auto focus very handy. My personal work, however, is always made with one of the two rangefinders! They are really satisfying cameras to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When using a manual camera ( or the manual feature on an elektronic) I find that the operation is sometimes more "spontane?" eg the compensation which is done more easily than if I have to set it to + or - on the camerabody in AE mode. I do like the AF on my F90X but use it manually on closeups. The reason I upgraded to MF is partly because it force me to change my habits and slow down. This make me think more before I press the shutter.
    Mvh Søren

Shooter
    35mm
    Your interests and the type of work you wish to do will pretty much dictate what type of gear is useful. I work almost entirely with static subjects and I use a manual focus slr using a seperate incident light meter. If, however, as an example, I was trying to photograph children being themselves I would likely change to a rangefinder or auto-focus camera. Who knows I might even buy a zoom lens.

The other day I heard a rumor that one is even able to take photos without film. What a silly idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like using my Olympus OM-1 as it is easy to use and small. I like to use manual cameras, but for portraits of kids I like AF!

I use my Canon EOS Elan 7E with a handheld meter almost all the time and like the handheld way of metering the light.

Whether or not using manual or automatic I work manually (at least partly) almost all the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go right ahead and find yourself some vintage gear and get after it. Then, when you see how truly wonderful advances in equipment are you will come back to the newer stuff. Trust me on this. I started when the only thing there was was manual everything. The only thing advances in technology do is remove the excuses of mechanical failure. When you remove mechanical failures, the only thing left is the failure of the photographer's vision. The key to successful photography is removing the failure of the photographer's vision.
    So, go ahead and give that vintage gear a try. It will give you a good grounding in film exposure and focus so you can appreciate your newer gear.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 35mm AF camera that extremly rarely get used in the auto mod. I found the autofocus annoying and often wrong. Really sucked the juice out of the batteries too. The only time I use AF now is for fast moving objects and the odd sports event, which again is pretty rare. I never use the auto shutter or apeture settings
    There's a good article here: http://www.apug.org/forums/article.p...a=5#comment426
    which will link you to this site: http://wilson.dynu.net/dilution.asp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin