Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,668   Posts: 1,481,744   Online: 861

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Les great question...... I make photographs for a number of reasons, to have an excuse to go see and experience new things, the window into myself is also very important to me, the wow factor of seeing a negative hanging to dry is fun, it takes your mind back to the moment of the shooting.

The most important reason I make photographs is there are no drugs or drink that can come close to the "high" I get when I’m shooting and I connect with a subject. When you get into that zone where the images are flowing endlessly and effortlessly, time stands still, and the work flows out of you. It drains you of energy and refreshes your spirit at the same time.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    "why do we make photographs not how do we make them"
    I photograph to make a beautiful object; namely, the final print. My photography has little to do with how I felt at the time of making an exposure as I've made some very satisfying photographs while in the throes of some pretty negative feelings. Usually if I'm not in a good mood I just won't be out photographing.

Nor does it have much to do with how I feel about the subject since I've made meaningful images of subjects about which I'm indifferent or even find disgusting. The ground glass has great power to transform the mundane into something transcendent.

The act of photography is complete for me only when a good print is mounted, overmatted, framed and on the wall. Ahh, that's better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm working on the answer/s to this. So far ... many reasons ... but I'm trying to determine the core.

Right now, all I can say is, "I don't really know - yet."

I mentioned this quest for the - MY - "why" after commenting on Rites and Passages, by Minor White.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good question,

I could say I make photographs because of compromise. I was allways interested in art, but never enough to dedicate myself to art as profession. And I think I do not have talent for painting. On the other hand I was also interested in technology and science. And I find photography is compromise between art and technology.

And in todays world which get uglier every day, to preserve beauty in photographs for future. Then, photography for me is therapy.

Conclusion, no matter if I am good photographer or not, I make photographs because I like to do that more than lots of other things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "to stop time" ... as michael says ... that is it.

as an athiest, I have no concept of what happens after I die, because I'm dead. But that is terrifying to me. So, I make photographs in an attempt to show the one or two generations that follow me, to whom I may still have some importance, how I see the world and what is beautiful to me.

That's a bit depressing isnt it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Why do I photograph?

To stop time.

Michael
    Outstanding answer, Michael. That is the essence.

For me, also, to look again on that which I comprehended only imperfectly the first time.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't really know... but it seems like a natural extension of who I am, and enhances this wonderful experience called life!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I started out taking photos because I wanted to document parties, concerts and other stuff related to family and friends. But soon after I felt that taking photos was a way of expression that I found suiting for me. I am also musician and photography is great thing to combine with music.

Music appeals to your ears and I make it with my band.
    Photography appeals to your eyes and I make it alone.

This way I express myself both by audio and visually. And I make the art both alone and in a group. Great combination.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jim Chinn's answer was the one that resonated with me...as you might
    guess from the quote in my signature file....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Why? Because what we see today may not exist tomorrow. Life is fleeting and I wish to preserve something of what I know and love, the things that make me feel free, that make my heart sing. I want to preserve the beauty of nature before the last of it is compromised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin