Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,926   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    In the end who really gives a shit.
    Looks like we may need a poll on this... :o

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Michael,

You took the words right out of my mouth. You know with all of this self professed angst it is no wonder to me that no one is accomplishing much of anything worthwhile.

Rather the vomiting out this self centered drivel it might be worthwhile to search the archives...it probably has been said before...ad nauseum.
    Search out rocks and trees and you will find the same so-called "ad nauseum". A little tolerance or ignore is in order, Donald.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Michael,

You took the words right out of my mouth. You know with all of this self professed angst it is no wonder to me that no one is accomplishing much of anything worthwhile.

Rather the vomiting out this self centered drivel it might be worthwhile to search the archives...it probably has been said before...ad nauseum.
    Wow. What an ass.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    From my standpoint it is very true that those who do not give a shit may be constipated...but that too will pass.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Wow. What an ass.
    Where, what ass? I sure did see no beautiful ass walk by? What did I miss? Quick, fill me in, I hate to be left out of the good stuff.

Blansky, I take it by now you have come to appreciate my very special form of irony?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Where, what ass? I sure did see no beautiful ass walk by? What did I miss? Quick, fill me in, I hate to be left out of the good stuff.

Blansky, I take it by now you have come to appreciate my very special form of irony?
    I was commenting on the size. You know "damn what a really big ass."
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey guys, no need to defend me...I got a real kick out of some of the replies so far !!

I'll counter by saying that if artists haven't addressed some of these questions, maybe they are just scimming the surface of their potential.

To put this into a historical context, I became gluten intollerant without being diagnosed for a long time. I became so run down that whatever energy I had left after work was given to my daughter. I'm getting healthier now, and with the return of energy so is my motivation to create.

Thanks for the kick in the a$$ anyways Michael

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, great attitude, Murray!
    But personally, I'm sorry this thread went nowhere so quickly. Truly the less certain of us writhe at the heels of artistically self-assured giants here at APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    edit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Murray, for what it's worth, I hear ya. I've been fighting it off for awhile now. There was such a rush of "good stuff" in the beginning when I figured out I could actually communicate and express myself through photography; everything just sort of poured out. Now I find that it takes more out of me to produce work that I find meaningful and worth doing. It's not a bad thing, but it does take a conscious effort on my part not to start down the slippery slope toward angst.

To me, it's not a matter of "just shoot what you like." It's a matter of figuring out what it is I want to say. My work is very much about understanding people and finding a connection with them. When I fail to do that, I just have a standard snapshot of a person. My ability to connect with myself is absolutely required to make meaningful images of other people. My frame of mind completely determines whether I make an image worth making. Believe me, people notice when I'm not really into what I'm doing. It's very obvious.

Don't know if that makes any sense.

This whole "am I changing the world" internal debate, to me is quite pointless.
    In the end who really gives a shit.
    I'd disagree with this 100%. I don't for one minute feel it's pointless. But then, my goal isn't to change the world, but to hopefully add a new perspective to the kind of work I do. It's very possible, and remarkably easy to do, at least for awhile. It's sustaining it that's hard.

- CJ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin