Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,236   Online: 872

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I walked on [away from] photography for a number of years. I came back to it to find myself again in 96. now after almost 10 years of going through figureing out what I like to create, I find myself worrying that I don't capture some subjects because of past experiences thinking that I didnt like the final result.

That worries me that I may be loosing out on the "happy accident" or growing as I have in the past.

After driving around parts of northern Utah and southern Idaho, I've found that I need to keep shooting/creating or I get out of practice vairly quickly. It's not so much the mechanics of it as it is having an eye tuned to "see" what is out there.

I have also found there are many things that can distract from really enjoying the art, such as selling and marketing.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Where, what ass? I sure did see no beautiful ass walk by?
    To refresh your memory:
    http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/sh/
    (stare at the object of interest for 5 seconds.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Looks like we may need a poll on this... :o

Art.
    Yep, now we do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    To refresh your memory:
    http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/sh/
    (stare at the object of interest for 5 seconds.)
    that girl sure has her heart in a strange place...
    Last edited by medform-norm; 07-18-2005 at 03:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What girl? All is see is a road racer with Cheriani forks and clip on bars. Insufficient detalail to make out what engine is mounted in the double cradle loop frame! Most likely are Pirelli RR tires.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Word!!! Have we no concern for the sensibilities of the "Keepers of the Public Morals"? Let us refrain from using "coarse terms" when referring to parts of the human body. I would suggest the use of the term "Callipygian" where appropriate.

No, I'm not going to tell you what it means. Look it up in your dictionary.

Also, I think another word might prove useful in some of our replies: "Fecetious" (no, not misspelled) - from the Latin, "feces"; meaning that you are full of ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    What girl? All is see is a road racer.
    What "road racer"?!?! Is this some sneaky attempt to "cloud our minds.."???

Who wrote this .. Lamont Cranston?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    What girl? All is see is a road racer with Cheriani forks and clip on bars. Insufficient detalail to make out what engine is mounted in the double cradle loop frame! Most likely are Pirelli RR tires.
    Now that's scarey. You are 100% right on all counts. The frame is a Rickman (#1329r) and the engine a Trident (#1329r).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Way , way back to the original post . . . .
    Murray, I think you have started a potentially interesting topic, and I don't think it's about the lighter matters of what materials to use, or what to shoot anymore. I think it's about a life passage, and as such might possibly be exempt from the charge of navel gazing. I have little or no respect for my own self-indulgence anymore. If I thought my current long dry-spell were self-indulgent, I'd kick myself in the, er, ass, so to speak.

This "Long dark Walk" has a well-documented history in the monastic traditions. There it is called the "Dark Night of the Soul". I thought I had gone through that with my divorce and some serious life changes about 16 years ago, but now I see I was just "growing up" back then. The dry spell I'm in now doesn't have a simple "go out and shoot what makes you excited" solution. The questioning is much more profound this time.

I'm 53, which is still just a punk kid to some of our members, and just boringly middle-aged to others. But it's safe to say I'm past the half-way point, and the old philosophical musings are starting to get, well, dark. I found photography about 25 years ago, and it was (and to some extent still is) the only thing I had ever gone after that I felt I "owned". I loved it like a kid at Christmas, like falling in love in high school. You guys know what I mean. I read every goddam book in the public library about B&W photography. (They still had libraries back then). Every new box of Super XX or pack of paper was like some holy icon.

And now I'm going deeper and deeper into a sense of the futility of making little monochrome images on pieces of paper in a dark stinky room. Beyond that, it is a questioning of how I could lose the fire, and what could replace it? And I guess that is what this passage is all about -- you either come out the other end with a renewed passion, or you fade out of it altogether. Maybe it's a test of resolve, maybe it's the fear of death - waiting out there in the woods, ready to take everything I love away.

Again, this ain't self-pity. This is a genuine hole into which I have fallen, and I know damn well it's up to me to get out all by myself. I don't think the author who coined the term Long Dark Walk was looking for sympathy. I think he was documenting a phenomenon all artists go through at some point.

Would Mozart have continued producing such brilliant work had he lived until 80? Does anyone think Ansel Adams made a truly breathtaking image after about 1950? Maybe this thing is a winnowing process, and my work will return with real depth and maturity. And maybe I'll take up pottery instead.
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    my comment "nobody really gives a shit" didn't mean that we don't care that Murray is going through this, my comment meant that in reality nobody really cares about our work and our passion except us.
    I think this comment holds alot of truth to it. but perhaps not literally and on the surface. I think it IS possible that people could and may give a shit. But to follow the mindset of "Im going to do this because I need to and feel moved to, not because anyone will give a shit" I think thats a healthly artistic mindset. and perhaps when you find yourself really truly creating work from within you... you will slowly start to realize and recognize that a, perhaps, small few people in this world end up giving a shit.

just my thoughts though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin