Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,548   Online: 1070

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for that Michael, and I did take what you said earlier for what it was - a kick in the ass to jump start me out of a rut (Actually, I think Donald has one gosh-dern nasty thorn under his saddle).

From what you've said it sounds like you've commited yourself to photography more than most here, or I, could comprehend. Within that world you've found your place and that's a GREAT thing.

When I started taking photographs I used to take about 3 rolls of 36 exp 35mm colour slides on a day hike, and would really like (maybe) 5 images. When I started using a tripod I would take about 2 rolls, and would really like (maybe) 4 images. When I moved up to 6x7 on a tripod I would take about 1 roll, and would really like (maybe) 3 images. Over 20 years ago I started using 4x5 exclusively and average about 6 photographs on a day hike, of which I really like (maybe) 2 images.

If I feel the photograph I'm thinking of taking won't survive to be one of the ones I really like, I won't take it. If I feel it'll be a cliche, I won't take it. If I feel I'm thinking of taking it because I know it'll look pretty as a B&W photograph with no soul, I won't take it. Approaching photography this way means I need to be sure why I'm taking an image. Mid-life seems to be a time when people ask the big WHY questions...its the same for artists I guess.

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    (Actually, I think Donald has one gosh-dern nasty thorn under his saddle).

Murray
    Murray, I am sorry if I offended your or anyone else's sensiblilities. I still feel quite strongly about all of the heavy, thoughtful, intellectually engrossing philosophical questions ongoingly posted here that obviously don't have any heavy, thoughtful, intellectually engrossing valid answers.

Speaking from my personal experience, gathered over the past twenty five years, and the experiences of others, it seems that these "heady and deeply philosophical questions" all come down to still further self absorbtion and self aggrandizement at monumental scale.

In retrospect, I think that I would have been better served to let you and all who want to engage their minds in these pursuits do so...hell I may be surprised and find that you may come up with the "meaning of life" in your ruminations.

I think that Michael expressed it very well when he alluded to not becoming too heavily involved with "thinking too much".

Heck if you or I don't feel like taking photos...then simply don't do it...if you want to do it later...do it...if you or I never want to do it again...we should do that too...the answers for why this happens are largely illusory...they are personal. I would hope that you would have the intelligence to not pretend that you have answers for me...or I for you. Until then I will leave the philosophical questions to those who want to spend their time so engaged. I will go and make photographs...or not.

Nuff said...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Murray, I am sorry if I offended your or anyone else's sensiblilities. I still feel quite strongly about all of the heavy, thoughtful, intellectually engrossing philosophical questions ongoingly posted here that obviously don't have any heavy, thoughtful, intellectually engrossing valid answers.
    Well, hell Donald...what do you expect on a thread entitled ETHICS (1 - the branch of philosophy that deals with the principles of right and wrong action. 2 - standards of right conduct or proper action) and PHILOSOPHY (1 - a study that aims at understanding the basic principles of the universe, life, morals, etc. 2 - a system of beliefs about the universe and life, esp. those of a particular group or person. 3 - the guiding principles followed in a particular activity or field of knowledge)??????????????????

Did I miss the link to the site where all these answers can be found? Seems to me there's more than just a little wiggle room for different interpretations!! !!

Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Well, hell Donald...what do you expect on a thread entitled ETHICS (1 - the branch of philosophy that deals with the principles of right and wrong action. 2 - standards of right conduct or proper action) and PHILOSOPHY (1 - a study that aims at understanding the basic principles of the universe, life, morals, etc. 2 - a system of beliefs about the universe and life, esp. those of a particular group or person. 3 - the guiding principles followed in a particular activity or field of knowledge)??????????????????

Did I miss the link to the site where all these answers can be found? Seems to me there's more than just a little wiggle room for different interpretations!! !!

Murray
    I have to agree with Murray. This is the philosophy thread after all. Coming in here and complaining about people philosophizing is like going into the "Lounge" and compling about off-topic posts<g>.

Personally, I don't philosophize as much as I used to (I'm not sure why that is, but I'll put some thought into it). I have no problem with people looking at life in a larger context that what we can immediately see, smell and feel. I think it's just part of our nature to do so - remember this planet was created by a race of super-intelligent mice and we were specifically designed to think about the meaning of life, the universe and everything. So we shouldn't complain when that's just what we do. And being philosophical doesn't preclude one from being highly active - they aren't mutually exclusive - quite often I find myself thinking and doing at the same time. I'm not sure how I do it - I guess it's a gift.

As for the long dark walk, so far I've only done that when I have to get up at night and go pee. But I have many years ahead of me, much of which I plan on being on the road photographing, so it may turn into The Long Dark Drive.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Murray, I am sorry if I offended your or anyone else's sensiblilities. I still feel quite strongly about all of the heavy, thoughtful, intellectually engrossing philosophical questions ongoingly posted here that obviously don't have any heavy, thoughtful, intellectually engrossing valid answers. ...
    The process is the product, and often it brings large personal ethical and esthetic rewards. You reacted strongly so it seems you still aren't over what you claim to be over, else you would just shrug. Quietly.

I generally agree with Donald Miller and blansky, but with an aside. When I first read Murray's post I thought, well I must be having Long Dark Walk's every night and sometimes during lunch, because I always question my direction, my goals, my methods, my supplies, is my pleasure still outweighing the stress and strife, everything. Always trying to be sure I have checked and rechecked and thought and rethought till hopefully (the goal anyway) I can relax into masterful skill.

Now most of you know I am not a photog, but run a darkroom; even so that takes creativity and ingenuity, and the darkroom is only one of my artistic interests, . . . notably the one that pays for the rest. So hopefully my opine counts even if you all have never been able to evaluate whether I could comprehend an artist's (verbal or visual) path.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin