Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,656   Online: 942

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

The Long Dark Walk

Flipping TV channels a while back I caught part of an interview with a 50+ year old Canadian novelist I didn't recognize. He was describing an experience in almost every writers carreer when the hot passion of discovery and exploration is in the past, the writers voice has coalesced into a mature one, and many of the goals set early in life have been attained.

Then begins, as he descibes it, "The Long Dark Walk." A period of time, usually years in length, of very low to zero artistic output. Some emerge at the other end never to write again. The ones that do emerge as writers do so with a new surge of focused creative energy.

My experience with The Long Dark Walk is that it's more than a dry spell and more than photographers block. It's a period of internal reflection where you question the very foundation stones of your art. Is photography really the best medium to express that which I have to express? Have I chosen the right negative size? The right film - developer combination? The appropriate paper - developer - toner combination? Is my "style" really the purest form of expression, or a deadend path of least resistance?

I'm just emerging from my own Long Dark Walk. I have a sense that after these foundation stones are firmly set, I'll be able to forge ahead with a new found freedom unhindered by dark whispering questions lurking in the back of my mind. Confident to the core!

I'm sure many of you have been spared this experience; consider yourselves lucky! Has anybody else had their own Long Dark Walk? How ya doin?

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-18-2005 at 12:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

In my opinion is sounds like too much navel gazing, self analysis and narcissism.

Shoot what you enjoy. When you cease to enjoy it, shoot something else. Use whatever techniques work for you, occasionally experiment.

This whole "am I changing the world" internal debate, to me is quite pointless.
    In the end who really gives a shit.

It's all about doing what you enjoy. Get your eye out of your navel and put it in the viewfinder.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well put, Murray. Perhaps you are a writer after all. You really can be a writer and a photographer at the same time: better at one or the other or vacillating between. No harm at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    In my opinion is sounds like too much navel gazing, self analysis and narcissism.

Shoot what you enjoy. When you cease to enjoy it, shoot something else. Use whatever techniques work for you, occasionally experiment.

It's all about doing what you enjoy. Get your eye out of your navel and put it in the viewfinder.

Michael
    Blansky,
    it amazes me over and over again how touching you can be in your sensitivity towards others.

Images
    Not so much in photography. I have had dry spells but in the end the camera, really, is an integral part of my life. As important to me as an arm. I could learn to live without it but life would plain suck most of the time. My long dark walk has been professionally. It has lasted for about a year and I hope I come out of it with a clearer purpose or more defined goals. As it is I am not looking forward to going back into the classroom in a couple of weeks. I feel I will not be doing my best for the students.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Blansky,
    it amazes me over and over again how touching you can be in your sensitivity towards others.
    A lack of sympathy is one of the symptoms of pathological narcissism.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, blansky, it might not be a "warm and fuzzy", but it's true. Very few people care about your art work, so your personal art is just that. Personal. If others like it, great, if not, that's great, too. If you are making art for someone else's enjoyment, then that long dark walk is going to be really, really long.

As tough as you sound, it's the truth. This premise is the central theme of "Art and Fear" by Ted Orland and David Bayles.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

In my opinion, when people are feeling depression and lack of motivation, sympathy is not necessary what they need. Even if they did, there a plenty of people who are professional sympathizers who thrive on feeling our pain, that will be there to aid us in their misery.

I tried to offer a different point of view. A "truth" perhaps that can sometimes pull people out of the mire and simply do what they enjoy, for no other reason that it gives them pleasure.

Anybody who has done anything for any period of time will get into a rut. Then depression sets in and they will drop deeper and deeper into that rut.

My remedy: Do what excites you and forget about thinking too much.

Sorry if you think that's unsympathetic.

PS. I re-read what I first wrote, and my comment "nobody really gives a shit" didn't mean that we don't care that Murray is going through this, my comment meant that in reality nobody really cares about our work and our passion except us.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

Michael
    Michael,

You took the words right out of my mouth. You know with all of this self professed angst it is no wonder to me that no one is accomplishing much of anything worthwhile.

Rather the vomiting out this self centered drivel it might be worthwhile to search the archives...it probably has been said before...ad nauseum.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    A lack of sympathy is one of the symptoms of pathological narcissism.
    For those who are looking for sympathy, it can be found between sh** and syphilis in the dictionary.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin