Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,550   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Grain, spots and marks after "digital revolution"

Please, do not take this thread as a provocation, as I'm very serious. I don't want to start a debate, I just wonder if anyone is sharing my same thoughts.

Not very long ago, I would have given much to have the grain disappear. I hated even the lesser spots and went through the most painful trick or retouch to hide them.

Today, I find myself looking with peaceful affection at an evident grain, or even to (very small and well hidden, of course) spots or scratches. If my photograph is intended as a gift to a friend, I usually POINT at its defects (which I realized are almost undetectable to the avarage) and explain how they are a trace of a manual, analog process, and thus the proof of a traditional and patient hand made work.

Anyone else started to love the grain, perhaps, or I'm just hopeless?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree about the grain, I was never fond of it when using the 135-format but these days I've picked up the HP5 and just enjoy the combo for all its qualities. Still, I retousch the spots and the scratches that may appear on the print...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i like to let this be as they are. i don't retouch these days ( i used to use an adams retouching desk ) and i don't mind dust and scratches either. it doesn't have much to do with digital, but more to do with wabi-sabi + enjoying the extra level of texture in the print.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love the look of film which for me has to do with grain; however, i also spot when necessary to hide dust.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am no fan of grain for my own work. However, there are many members on APUG that very much like Rodinal which along with its other characteristics is grain enhancement. I would guess that to some of them the enhancement of grain is an effect that they are very interested in achieving.

So, at least in that regard, you are far from being hopeless.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Grain is okay, but I retouch spots and sometimes other things. Retouching is also hand work.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are software add-ons to photoshop that allow the operator to emulate grain in digital prints. So you can reproduce that TriX in rodinol look. I do not remember the specific name of the software, but Dave Beckerman, a pixelographer in NYC has used it from time to time and discussed it in his blog last year. I don't know to what extent he uses it in his prints.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    There are software add-ons to photoshop that allow the operator to emulate grain in digital prints.
    As someone else already pointed out cleverly, it's pathetic how the digital stuff is constantly running after traditional photography, in the desperate attempt to achieve the same feel and look ;-)
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I'm having mashed potatoes, having tiny bits of unmashed potatoes is my reassuring that I'm eating real vegetables, not powdered ones. Same thing with grain &c, it's the little defect that proves the authenticity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grain is my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin