Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,405   Online: 692

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Arigram:

I feel for you; I wish you all the best. I applaud your courage in wanting to make a change. I know how hard it is.

I am a physician, an occupation that is often thought of as lucrative and prestigious. It can also be a soul-killing burden if you do not feel a "calling" to the profession. Only later in life did I realize that I really wanted to be a writer/photographer. I have responsibilities that currently prevent my just chucking everything to pursue this dream. But I am working on the dream in parallel to my daily grind, looking to make a break for myself.

No advice to offer you--best of luck my friend.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    So, what do you think? I am an naÔve idiot to think that photography can help my life?
    I am cursed to be an artist by birth. I canít do anything else, even if I tried. I never wanted to be an artist by profession though , but there it is, I canít do otherwise. I donít like commercial, applied arts (advertising, weddings, etc). I donít want to make my living off computers (because I have been dealing with them in depth for more than fifteen years and I donít like it).

Am I being stupidly unrealistic?

Well, Arigram, as George Bernard Shaw said in his novel "Man and Superman": "Reasonable man try to adjust himself to the world. Unreasonable man try to adjust the world to himself. That is why all progres on the world is upon unreasonable man".

Good luck

As a side note, I have not been enjoying my life here at all. I barely have any friends or anything fun to do. I donít like the Greeks and their miserable attitude nor the backwards and depressing Greek society. future here doesnít promise much. I always felt and was treated like an alien here even before I left for the US. The newspaper has been all what is keeping me here and has not been doing very well for many years now. Yet, I will stick with it until the bitter end. I could leave for another country though. In the EU and possibly MediterraneanÖ
    Well, come to Bosnia and Hercegovina, and when you return you will think Greece is paradise. For example, we in Bosnia even don't have chance for those EU programs. Because we here don't have those programs. Lucky you for live in EU...

Good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Success

This Monday, I received a small but thick envelope from the program's authority. My application has been accepted and I was granted 90% of the requested money for equipment. The only thing is they didn't accept my request for consumables (film, paper, chemicals).
    Of course, there was no check attached to the papers.
    The reply took about five months.
    To get the money I have to acrobatically jump through a lot of burocrautical flaming hoops and it could take a while.
    Considering I have already gotten a couple of well paying projects, my anxiety about this whole affair has topped.
    Tomorrow morning I am starting the whole paperwork marathon so I am still not throwing a party.

Wish me good luck in surviving the buraucrats.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Since this is an update of your original post, I take it you are still in the city you hate and have now received the approval for the money you need to start a studio.

You proclaim this as success and seem happy yet uncertain.

Please let us know if you still hate where you live and if you still wish that you could relocate to a different place.

I would love to celebrate your achievement, if in fact that is what you really want or is this just what happened while you were making up your mind what you wanted.

Let us know.

MIchael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Allright.
    It has not been an easy thing on my mind.
    At first I was extremely enthusiastic and optimistic, but the months passed while I sitted on burning coal and waited and waited...
    I had a lot of time to think.

Yes, I don't like this city, but then again, there is not a city in Greece I like. It has to do with them been quite ugly and suffocating and the society been quite behind the times. I don't believe in the "let's all move to the capital" mantra that destroyed many third world countries where the capital sucks all the development and people from the rest of the country.
    So, I thought of leaving Greece. I would probably move either to Italy or Spain, as I love the Mediterranean too much.
    Its development of the cities I dislike not the place anyway.
    I love Crete and Iraklion being a small city isn't that bad. Its easy for one to get out of it.

Now that I have the reply from the funding authority and the ok from the bank to get the money quicker and easier, I decided to give it another chance.
    I have already made some contacts for work projects and might even start working professionally while I am still remodelling the darkroom. I have to see how I will pull this off.

If my social and business life becomes better, I will give Greece a few more years. I am starting to get old and soon the society will expect stupid things like getting married and having children, something I am trying to put off as much as I can!

If the work will start forcing me to move to Athens, I will leave Greece before that happens.

Thank you Blansky for your concern and interest.
    www.arigram.gr

What are the options when this money and equipment come. What are the stipulations. Can you live anywhere in Greece, or do you have to stay in the city you don't like. Can you leave the country after a certain period and take the equipment with you.

This is like deciding to marry a beautiful woman with 3 kids because she gave you a "taste". It seems like a good idea but you may be in for lifelong commitment with someone you don't love and will make you miserable. Or not.

I hope you make the decision that will fulfill you.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    What are the options when this money and equipment come. What are the stipulations. Can you live anywhere in Greece, or do you have to stay in the city you don't like. Can you leave the country after a certain period and take the equipment with you.
    I will have to keep this business for five years.
    I am not sure of all the legal details regarding the moving of the business to another city or even country but I guess its fairly restricting. We will see how it goes.
    The good thing about photography is that I am not restricted to a "shop", outside of my darkroom that is, so I can be pretty mobile.

This is like deciding to marry a beautiful woman with 3 kids because she gave you a "taste". It seems like a good idea but you may be in for lifelong commitment with someone you don't love and will make you miserable. Or not.
    I have thought about this a lot. Quite a lot.
    But the future doesn't exist, it is what you make of it. And I am working for a good future, that's all I can do.

I hope you make the decision that will fulfill you.
    So do I Michael, so do I...
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arigram:

In the grand scheme of things, five years is not a long time. I dare say that it will take you at least a year or two to get it off the ground. The only thing that I would suggest is that you set yourself a target date by which you must decide if the venture is going to make it, or if its just sapping the life out of you and you need to pull the plug. Is it five years? Ten? Only you can decide...

Perhaps you can supplement your income by continuing to do something for the newspaper...think food, clothing and shelter...

...and don't be so down on Crete. Sometimes the things that we take for granted are the very things that others may find attractive. Try looking at your town from a different perspective and see what happens...

Very best of luck to you. I hope the venture takes off.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    .... the future doesn't exist, it is what you make of it......
    So true. I think you're going in the right direction. Good luck.
    óEric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just want to wish you the best of everything in the future, regardless which path you choose I hope the bumps are few and an easy grade along the way.
    I believe most all of us have at least once in life felt the pain, confusion, and near dispair of what you are going through. Simply understand, while you are on this journey you have many friends supporting you and your dreams. Never feel alone, people all over the world care about you! And are behind your every move! Good luck!

Charlie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin