Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,695   Online: 1013

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow guys you are going to make me cry seriously!
    *sniff*

Thank you for your support and understanding!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Popped my cherry!

I just had my first professional portrait!
    Yeay!

Elections for city officials are coming so my father managed to get me a couple of politicians to sit for portraits.
    The first one was easy. He didn't mind shooting either BW or color so I did both in similar poses. I also only used the studio where the second one wants mostly color and at his house, with his family and all so it will be a tiny bit more involved.
    Of course the photographs themselves are not artistically importand in any way, but they must come out well.
    I managed to find a bunch of Fuji Reala 100 in 120 which is a feat in this day and age.

The only problem I faced really was the heat which has been unbearable for the last couple of days and my studio lacks A/C at present.

I was thinking of squeezing out of them three hundred euros each.
    Here in Greece that seems like a good amount of money, but I figured out, they are politians, they need the photos...

Here's a couple of polaroids of my first guy.
    (ignore the technical matters such as the visible strobe...)
    Last edited by arigram; 01-12-2008 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ari,

I find the first one full of distractions, right behind his left shoulder, top and lower right corners also, the second is much better.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Andre, but the polaroids I posted are just tokens of the session. We tried different poses.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do!

Cate

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said Ari, follow your dreams and be honest with yourself. Look in the mirror, what do you see? Look deep into your soul. The road will be rough, a strong commitment will guide you over the bumps and obstacles. never give up if this is your dream.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    If I no longer wish to live somewhere I would leave. I have lived a few places and never once regretted the move.

Get yourself spartan photography equipment, that is easily transportable and venture to where you think you would like to live. Contact local photographers there and try to get work assisting, to learn technique, both people and equipment wise. If not, just get a job, and in your spare time work on your projects and make yourself happy.

In my opinion, living somewhere you don't like, will stifle your creativity all the way to your soul. Follow your dreams and the world will part and let you through.

Michael
    Michael, I grew up in Georgia, and I reached this same conclusion in 1984, so I moved to Puerto Rico. And you are absolutely correct. I make less money here than I did in the States, but I love living here, and my photography has grown as an art form since I came here. I'm not "successful" by most North American standards, but I am very happy!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Cate and Bill.
    I was going to reply to Cate's post saying something in the lines of "what I want to is to make lots and lots of mullah, be more famous than Madonna and take part in orgies with supermodels", but Bill's romantic post made me step down a bit.
    What I really want is to have a good life, have fun with it and if it becomes possible, do something important for the world. I am not sure about the latter but I am working on the former.
    We shall see.
    Now, lets milk those politians! Its my chance to get back at them!
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Thank you Andre, but the polaroids I posted are just tokens of the session. We tried different poses.
    You might try moving the camera a bit; having a low camera angle like you used, may look good for a woman, but not a man. FWIW, Blansky gave an excellent workshop on posing at the Toronto conference. You might PM him and ask what he thinks.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari -- I read this thread with a bit of envy. I have no options like you do. Go for it and have fun! If nothing else you will learn a lot about photography and running a small business. When I was younger I ran a small business (not photography). That was an experience that changed my whole perspective on life.

Regarding Robert's comment on low camera angle... are you using WLF or did you get an eye-level finder? I just did a "portrait session" using my Hassy -- a custom motorcycle. Being not tall I found many handheld shots to be too low using the WLF. A decent tripod and step-ladder was my solution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin