Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Thanks Michael. I tried to visit your web page..but, it seems to be not well...or, is it me? (I'm running Firefox and have Norton Internet Security set for High security...no shockwave, asp, ActiveX, etc...)

It works for me with Internet Explorer. I ain't all that computer literate but only occasionally do I get feedback of problems from people with different browsers.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Michael, your site works fine on my system. Off topic, do you know Tim Walden? Your work looks very similar to his, and I know he teaches at PPA conventions all over the country. I printed for him for a few years.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Hi all. Thanks for all the positive feedback on the example photo. I just offered this one as an example. This one is a pretty extreme case because, but, I have never really found a picture of a child / kid I liked that didn't include all the little hands and feet. I guess it's just something I need to get my head around...
    A lot depends on what you are doing, and what you like. If you like the hands and feet, then there are probably a lot of other people that feel the same way.

I recall an image that Suzanne Revy* posted (it isn't in her personal gallery now) that had a little girl's face closeup, with an arm in the background that was out of focus. A few people commented that the arm was distracting. Suzanne really liked the image as posted.

As long as I have brought up her work, compare her images
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgall...00&ppuser=2670

with some of Nicole's images
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=2762

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=2762

Suzanne (and many of Nicole's) images are largely close cropped portraits. But the images of Nicoles (especially the first one) are whole body portraits. All are very well received on APUG. So, why crop hands and feet if that is your vision?

For the image you are talking about--some have suggested that the "Old Navy" logo and the high contrast shoes are distracting. In that case, it isn't the crop but the other elements of the image that are the "problem". (personally, I like those elements. But, that is because I like to see how B&W film renders those elements. Then again, I am a geek).

Last example--from my own gallery (if I may be so bold).
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...oto=8156&cat=2

The bottle in front is a major distraction. Artistically, this breaks the image. A close crop of mother and child (which I will get around to!) would be much better. However, that bottle is one of my wife's favorite items from the stay at the hospital. To her, that context actually makes the image for her (OK, the baby is what really makes the image).

One last comment--I played around with my 4x5 to take portraits of my 2-year-old in his little chair. I got a contact sheet with him moving, leaning forward (out of the plane of focus), standing (top of head cropped), and one with a small light leak in the holder. No "keepers" in the set. I was just about to throw it away when my wife grabbed it and framed it take to work. She says it shows a lot of "life". Go figure!

Matt

(edit--got my names mixed up. Should read Cheryl Jacobs!)
    Last edited by MattCarey; 08-01-2005 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tend to shoot a lot of tight photos of my son - which means rarely are all his extremities in the photo. Some of my favorites are tight crops of his face - the top of his head is cut off and all of his body.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kids can be cropped really in the same way adults can. A simple rule of thumb (and it almost always holds true) is to never crop at the joint - gives an amputee look. I crop in camera most of the time, and I'll frequently crop of the top of the head, and in some cases (extreme close-ups) I'll even crop through an ear or an eye. So much depends on your style and personal preference.

The most important thing is to be sure all the elements of the image work together: the crop, the tones, the mood, the composition, everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recall an image that Suzanne Revy posted (it isn't in her personal gallery now) that had a little girl's face closeup, with an arm in the background that was out of focus. A few people commented that the arm was distracting. Suzanne really liked the image as posted.

Matt[/QUOTE]

I think this was one of Cheryl Jacob's photographs. I think I recall quite a tight portrait, with her hand out of focus. Some people felt the hand didn't look like it belonged to the girl, and suggested cropping it.

Agree with Cheryl about avoiding crops at the joints. Can't tell you how many times I've lopped someone's foot off at the ankle! Arrgh! Anyway, hands and feet are expressive. I think the shoes in BradS's portrait are great, but the letters in the t-shirt are, for me, a bit of a distratction. I also think it's entirely possible to do a good portrait showing just one hand, or even no hands or feet.. just depends on getting all the elements in the photograph to come together.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavis
    Michael, your site works fine on my system. Off topic, do you know Tim Walden? Your work looks very similar to his, and I know he teaches at PPA conventions all over the country. I printed for him for a few years.

Greg, no I don't know him. I haven't done the PPA thing since about 1985 so the new people ( I guess not new any more) on the circuit have gone under my radar.

My "style" is pretty much an extension of what I was doing in color, then realized that I was just shooting black and white, but in color. So I switched to exclusively black and white.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Matt makes some interesting points...I have admired the child photography done by Cheryl, Suzanne and Nicole right from the first...and, now that I've gone back and looked at it specifically with cropping in mind, I see that many are cropped - some tightly. Hmmmm...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    It works for me with Internet Explorer. I ain't all that computer literate but only occasionally do I get feedback of problems from people with different browsers.
    Michael
    Michael, Looks like your site wants Macromedia Flash...which, I don't do.
    Last edited by BradS; 08-01-2005 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    I think this was one of Cheryl Jacob's photographs. I think I recall quite a tight portrait, with her hand out of focus. Some people felt the hand didn't look like it belonged to the girl, and suggested cropping it.
    Absolutely correct,

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=629

Can I argue that there are too many excellent photographers here and so I mixed a few up?

Thanks,

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin