Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 717

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

How to Crop Kids?

Children seem to need all their arms, legs, hands and feet in the photo. I have a photo of a four year old in the gallery that seems like it would be stronger if cropped to a tight head and shoulders (cropping out the distracting "Old Navy" t-shirt) but, it just doesn't feel right to chop off the kid's extremities. What do you think about cropping photos of kids?

That's kind of a cute picture, I doubt I'd crop it.

In my opinion if your get kids into different positions than just standing or just sitting then you have an easier time getting interesting cropping. On my website I crop kids all the time.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    That's kind of a cute picture, I doubt I'd crop it.

In my opinion if your get kids into different positions than just standing or just sitting then you have an easier time getting interesting cropping. On my website I crop kids all the time.

Michael
    Thanks Michael. I tried to visit your web page..but, it seems to be not well...or, is it me? (I'm running Firefox and have Norton Internet Security set for High security...no shockwave, asp, ActiveX, etc...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Michael. I think that his hands and feet are important in this image. Very nice image, thanks for sharing.

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More to the point of your question, I don't necesarily feel that there are special rules for kids, it all has to do with the picture. When I look at your picture, the object in the hands tells a story, as does the fact that he is sitting like he is. If they weren't useful, I would be all in favor of cropping and not worried about losing his limbs. In other words, crop away without fear of repercussions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well......Maybe Birth Control Pills!!!! LOL

Only kidding, there are many good elements in this photo, you did good, and with various crops, you could produce some great stuff, the only thing I would have like to see more of is less darkness in the eye area, but other than that, I like the composition and see many great possibilites.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Well......Maybe Birth Control Pills!!!! LOLave
    Dave, you beat me to the punch!!
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ask Monsanto

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot kids and crop when I feel it is best for the picture. No special rules there for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi all. Thanks for all the positive feedback on the example photo. I just offered this one as an example. This one is a pretty extreme case because, but, I have never really found a picture of a child / kid I liked that didn't include all the little hands and feet. I guess it's just something I need to get my head around...

now, Hmmmm,birth control pills?!?!?!

Do you know what those could do to a guy my age? I got enough trouble as it is man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin