Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,415   Online: 1161

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    here, here to that! Somehow just having a lense (attached to a camera) While out and about seems to add an additional sense. A third eye if you will but more than that it seems to heighten the other senses. On top of that if your out on a day with clouds and a bit of wind the light changes constantly which is a feast. You can litterly feel the value changes. At that point I think vision becomes a sense in itself because of the awareness stimulated by knowing at some point nature is going to give you that value range your looking for to achieve that image your watching. Those are my favorite days. We do get them a lot around here during certain times of the year. The rest of the time we end up digging through the shadows looking for grey light oppertunities.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for an excellent discussion Les. Vision.

In our rushed world, most of the time the possibilities rush past like something you thought you saw in your periferal vision. On those special days though, set aside to photograph, no schedule, no marriage partner, excellent possibilities, cameras and film at the ready, that's when the vision really turns on.

The case in point I've chosen to share was on one of those trips. I was traveling to the SF bay area to meet up with APUG friends. I didn't know how my time would work out as I hadn't traveled to the bay area that way before and I needed to be there sometime in late afternoon. As I passed this scene at 45 mph I said to myself I'll stop here and photograph tomorrow on the way back home. I had the 7X17 with the 305 Dagor set up in my minds eye 24 hours before I exposed the image.

The scene is where Yosemite Creek crosses highway 120. When I returned the following day, true to plan, I spent a pleasant hour here. Turned out I couldn't get the scene I wanted with the 12" lens so the 270 G-Claron went on instead. I needed to have a sense of where the water tips over at the top, and where it pools at the bottom.

To answer your questions more fully though. Yes, no. Sometimes it's so easy to see and plan exactly what you'll get as it's on the GG. That's why I switched from the 12" to the 10 3/4". OTOH, sometimes I'm playing with a Verito or a Petzval and those lenses can be full of surprises. Perhaps in a few years I will have used them enough to know from what I'm seeing on the glass approximately what I'll get. The swirly bokeh picture of the 1950 F1 Ford truck (in my gallery on site) was done later the same day with the 18" Verito, and it was full of pleasant surprises. But I got exactly what I had visualized......pretty much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YosCreekNeg.jpg   YosCreekPos.jpg  
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Les... neat topic.

We're all put together differently, and the formal notion of Visualisation may be as wrong for many of us, as it was right for Ansel Adams. The formality, and systematic approach, gave Adams a way to unite his Romantic heart with his Technologist's mind. His friends, Weston, Stieglitz and Strand were all highly intuitive artists and Adams recognised that he had to invent his own form of creativity. I fell under the Adams influence early on, and began several years of making good images that weren't... me.

Somewhere along the line, doing documentary work in an emergency ward, the emotion ran so high that I simply began responding to what was going on around me: no thought, no visualisation, no intellectual understanding of what was going on. I felt drawn by waves of emotion, and simply aimed the cameras at the source ( an 8x10 deardorff and m4 leica if it matters ), and pushed the button.

Printing the work, well, that was an experience. I didn't recognize most of the pictures and had no recollection of making them. But over the days and days that followed, I re-experienced much of what I felt when the film was exposed, and in the initial printing began to see what before had simply been felt.

I've come to understand that it is probably accidental that I get a visual artifact from my camera. It might as well be a tape recorder. Photography, for me, is a way of capturing emotion and preserving it as a picture. And working intuitively ( And I guess by that I mean reacting to the sum of the data present rather than a detail, and the process proceeding from the general to the specific, without doing the calculus. )

I'm amazed that some of you have the ability to envision an image. I'm dazzled when I watch friends draw or paint. No idea where it comes from. Glad I've got my cameras. And I'm glad they don't really care what they are being aimed at. I guess I take pictures to find out what I'm looking at.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 08-09-2005 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A very interesting book: Kathryn Marx "Left Brain, Right Brain Photography" I bought it some ten years ago; perhaps still available second hand.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And Myers-Briggs.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know... I see photos everywhere! I can load up my camera, go out in my backyard & shoot a roll easy. I am still learning about the tools to help get what I see from the film to the paper. The Texas workshop was the best learning experience I've ever had... not just to learn from Les, whose work I have admired since I first saw it, but also to learn from the wonderful people there taking the workshop with me.

For me, it's all vision. That's the whole thing! Everything else is a tool for me to 'record' this particular place in time that has stuck a chord in me. I guess I've always been more sensually oriented than technically oriented... it's all about the way the light hits on those vines at 10 am in the July, or the interesting way that pumpkin vine has wrapped a tendril around the branch of a neighboring bush. It's about how those thing evoke a feeling in me that I want to capture and keep.

So, I guess... for me, it's all about the 'vision'... now all I need to do is keep practicing getting it out of the negative & onto the paper!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's something I'm working on. Still life macros. I've never had any education on this, going on my own as usual. This is a progression of shots made so far in this project over several weekend sessions.

All of these were taken outdoors in strong direct sun using my old dark cloth as the backdrop. Not a very sophisticated lighting setup, but I wanted to see just how it worked.

The first one (SL1) basically sucks in composition. I went ahead and printed it on Azo just to see how the tones would come out.

SL3 is better though there are background and color tone problems

SL4 and SL5 are the same but with different backgrounds. SL5 is close to my vision but needs better lighting.

So, next weekend, try again. BTW, I've gotten excellent tips from Les, Lee, Andre, and PapaGene just by posting questions and scans from this project. In other words, I'm learning by doing and learning from other APUG members.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    These are two new images for 2 on going projects. OTA or Grey light series and toy box. The interesting visual test for me was two different lighting approaches used at the same angles. Toy box is a 3 light key light approach and the grey light a very large light source with a movable interior light source. The grey light I usually shoot in a grey environement this time in white. Really cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toy Box 5 copy.jpg   Grey light XV copy.jpg  
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Realizing your Vision: That pesky subject.

I don’t know that I have ever really realized my pre-visualition of a picture. I HAVE sat long periods of time looking at something trying to figure out why I’m going to make a picture of it. This doesn’t seem to work for me. Most of my pictures come from the spur of the moment, a gut reaction to a scene; it isn’t until I begin making the print that I (almost always) think “I should have taken more time, looked a little closer or longer or thought more about camera perspective, if I had just used lesser depth of field”.

It isn’t until I have figured base exposures and made a first enlarged work print of the full negative that I consider composition and usually do some cropping. Then the vision begins to appear. “If I burn here and dodge there, raise this contrast, lower that contrast, etc.” then I’m on the way to making an expressive print. I am trying to get used to scanning a negative and working out composition on the monitor then take it into the darkroom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    -- it isn’t until I begin making the print that I (almost always) think “I should have taken more time, looked a little closer or longer or thought more about camera perspective, if I had just used lesser depth of field”.---
    This is the point where the 8x10 camera did it for me and allowed me to really see my composition. Even the 4x5 didn't afford the vision that looking through the 8x10 ground glass did. The fact that it takes time to set up, focus, and adjust made me settle down and really look at what I was doing. A very valuable piece of advice from Michael A. Smith is "as a photographer, you are responsible for every square millimeter on the photo". I've taken that to heart pretty much and found it works. Every piece of the photo has its place in the entire photo.

Using the large camera does limit your subjects. Its not really conducive to spontaneous events or rapidly moving subjects. But that's one sacrifice I've been willing to make for all the other advantages it has given me.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin