Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,714   Online: 825

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "If a B&W photograph were a piece of music, what would it sound like?"

What indeed? It would depend on the photo.

I see this from the other direction.

Much music written through the ages is "program" music, as opposed to "absolute" music. "Program" music describes something. "Pictures at an Exhibition" is the most obvious example for this discussion, but the list is endless. Anybody's "Pastoral" Symphony, almost all ballets, opera scores, tone poems, etc.

There have even been projects like the two Disney Fantasia movies that made pictures from some "absolute" music, although the illustrations tended to be more abstract (Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d).

Ansel said something to the effect (can't recall the quote right now) of a good print being like a Bach fugue. I always thought that quote said more about Ansel than about photography, but that's just my opinion.

Do I see pictures when I listen to music. Yes, much of the time. Do I hear music when I look at pictures. Not very often. YMMV.

Having been trained as a musician with photography as a hobby, I have always been fascinated by the number of musician/photographers there are - including many on this site.

Cheers,

David

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Being slightly biased by my natonality, I have been trying to capture Kjempeviseslåtten by Harald Sæverud on film for many years. Too often I end up with Grieg instead.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Miles Davis and Duke Ellington
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Ole, I hope that I am wrong, but when you get to be my age your negatives might have much in common with Knight on Bald Mountain.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    In re: to the original post there is the famous Weston quote about knowing he was on to something when he began to hear a Bach invention in his work.
    Boy do I know what Weston was talking about! I hear solo piano works by Bach in my head during quieter moments whilst out with my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    Gould would be more comparable to the printer/darkroom technician, whereas Bach would be the photographer/composer. I have my own ideas about which is more important, but both obviously contribute to the final outcome of the work. I guess the speakers are like the frame and the glass... And the piano is the paper and chemicals... and the microphone is the enlarger lens...
    Absolutely Gould is the printer. A master printer at that. Just listen to his 1981 recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations. I've always thought a b&w photograph was like a performance by a solo instrument. Just as a photograph contains only shades of gray Z-0 to Z-10, A piano recording only contains a range of tones from the piano. Each tone is only differentiated from the previous by the frequency. Sustain can be likened to the amount of a given tone in a print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...like a Chet Baker track!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the case of one my prints: "Happy Birthday" played by a tone deaf, one armed man on a rusty trombone that had been sat on by a hippopotamus, who has only ever played castanets before (the man that is: not the hippo, who, for all ones knows, may be a virtuoso on the trombone, having spent many years at a local conservatoire before becoming First Trombonist for the Johannesburg Symphony Orchestra after many more years (black rhinos were of course banned from all symphony orchestras during the apartheid years so our hippo was lucky there - lucky in that hippos are often mistaken for rhinoceroses, but are in fact easy to tell apart as hippos spend most of their time in water whereas rhinos are hydrophobic and rarely enter water, as evidenced by the fact that you very rarely see a rhino waterskiing). But as I say, no one knows. Hippos are notoriously shy and modest about their musical accomplishments: you'll never hear one boasting about them, that's for sure).

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 08-15-2005 at 12:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always thought a b&w photograph was like a performance by a solo instrument. Just as a photograph contains only shades of gray Z-0 to Z-10, A piano recording only contains a range of tones from the piano. Each tone is only differentiated from the previous by the frequency. Sustain can be likened to the amount of a given tone in a print.

And those obsessed with sharpness are like the musicians obsessed with loudness.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on my mood, on the very quiet days it can be the gentle beauty of Chet Baker's singing or Joe Pass on jazz guitar. On the other hand the black satanic days can lead to Led Zeplin at high volumes being the choice.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    In the case of one my prints: "Happy Birthday" played by a tone deaf, one armed man on a rusty trombone that had been sat on by a hippopotamus, who has only ever played castanets before (the man that is: not the hippo, who, for all ones knows, may be a virtuoso on the trombone, having spent many years at a local conservatoire before becoming First Trombonist for the Johannesburg Symphony Orchestra after many more years (black rhinos were of course banned from all symphony orchestras during the apartheid years so our hippo was lucky there). But as I say, no one knows. Hippos are notoriously shy and modest about their musical accomplishments: you'll never hear one boasting about them, that's for sure).

Bob.
    Why does this make me think of Tom Waits???
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin