Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,774   Online: 1260

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

If a B&W photograph were a piece of music, what would it sound like?

There's no doubt about it. A fine b&w photograph (finer than I could make) would be a Glenn Gould performance of Bach's Partita No. 1 (b-flat Major).

Gould's piano performances were pure of tone and tempo. If anyone disputes that, then well... I guess we'll have to take it out into the street.

Ok, anybody else have any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah. If a piece of music was a b&W photograph it would need only 2 notes.
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 08-14-2005 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Yeah. If a piece of nusic was a b&W photogtaph it would need only 2 notes.
    4 notes.. Black, white, gray... and lightgray
    sheesh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel's music would have 10 notes. Mine would sound like a kazoo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Since I mainly shoot color, I wonder how it would sound.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Keith Jarret
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    depends on the picture

i guess our job is to make the music when we make the print

me, i have an affinity for the english horn and cello

schwinn paramount ?
    that still come with a springer fork for the paperboys ? [COLOR=Red] ; ][/COLOR]
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting question. I just struggled through a Google search of (finally) Mussorgsky's (anyone knew how to spell his name?) Pictures at an Exhibition. I found
    [ http://www.stmoroky.com/reviews/gall...s/hartmann.htm ].

This is a descriptive analysis ... probably somewhat superficial, but I'm not sure I can take anything more profound at this time on a Sunday morning, after a LOT of darkroom work yesterday, and a brain fried out from thinking of APUG Standard Definitons.

Mussorsgky wrote Pictures at an Exhibition as a reaction to Hartmann's work. I haven't really tried to do the same with MY - or anyone else's work ... During the usual ennui that occasionally accompanies "sitting at a gallery", this might be - will be an interesting "stretching excersize".

I wonder about the expressions on the faces of those who are experiencing the works when I ask them, "What music do you hear/ think of as you look at this photograph?"
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Little Feat made music that contained a lot of disparate, even discordant parts that nevertheless hung together sublimely well. The most interesting b&w photography does likewise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Since I mainly shoot color, I wonder how it would sound.

Many (well not that many) people actually hear in color. Alexander Scriabin was one of these people, and he actually programmed color displays to go along with some of his music. (I don't know the detail because this was never my area, but you can probably find out the piece(s) by looking at the New Grove entry on Scriabin.)

In re: to the original post there is the famous Weston quote about knowing he was on to something when he began to hear a Bach invention in his work.

Gould would be more comparable to the printer/darkroom technician, whereas Bach would be the photographer/composer. I have my own ideas about which is more important, but both obviously contribute to the final outcome of the work. I guess the speakers are like the frame and the glass... And the piano is the paper and chemicals... and the microphone is the enlarger lens...
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin