Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,315   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

do you see differently?

i have to admit for the longest time color film for me was for family snapshots, events with family & friends and black and white was always for "artsy" stuff - documentary pictures, portraits ...
    now that i have kids and don't find myself having the time (or energy) to go into "the dark" to process / print b&w artsy photographs, i am shooting more and more color film. it has taken me a little time to figure it out, but i think i see things in color a little more than i used to.
    don't get me wrong, i'm not color blind ( well, blue-grey-green, but that is a different thread ) but for the longest time i wouldn't shoot in color cause it was "snapshot film," and now i am ....

anyone else see things differently?
    shooting b&w instead of color or visa versa and enjoying the results ?

-john

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I was suprised at having to re-train myself to think in B&W. I shot about 75% B&W/ infrared monochrome in the States - New York especially. Here in Kiev, I find myself looking at the world in color, and usually have to tell myself to remember to load the 35mm with B&W. LF on the other hand, is still largely monochrome, though I did just pick up a box of 9x12cm color slide fim.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks for your thoughts jay and jim ...

not sure what it was --- for years, maybe the term "machine print" shy'd me away thinking that color was an inferior medium. even though i had been exposed some really beautiful color prints in galleries + museums, and i assisted commercial photogs who shot hundreds of frames of color prints and transparancy film. just the same, it was snapshots / T4 point and shoot where the color film was quarrentined.

now that i think about it, i bought a pentax auto110 about 5 years ago, and i think my lazyness in not buying a "film slitter" and re-spooling b&w film (and buying something like 100 cassetts of fuji 110 film for like $15-shipped on FEEbay) was my first real submergion with color film. --- what was i thinking ? i don't have time to process the sheets or rolls of b&w myself, but i have time to slit 35mm film and painstakingly respool it into a 110 cassette?

now, i never remember what film is in my camera (or film holders) ( i just go by asa in the masking tape or that the camera is set to). i keep buying bunches of rolls of fuji color and outdated slide film and now for some reason i see not only contrast, but color, it is really strange.

maybe i am just a slouch who wants an excuse why i send film to the lab, since i can't stay awake long enough in the dark at night to process-process-process...
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-14-2005 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think that I see differently, except when I shoot in color IR. That's something different altogether.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know if it counts, but I see differently when I'm shooting Velvia to when I'm shooting other types of film. I look for the more vivid colours, and I also see the potential of subdued colours rendered more vividly.

I shoot colour for 99% of my work.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    While I enjoy a good B&W image, they just don't stir my inner being the way a good color images does. I particulary love warm highlights and reflections (which is probably why I use an 81A or 81B frequently).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Having printed both color and black and white, I find black and white to be more surreal and less about reality.

We (most of us) don't see in black and white in our daily lives so the black and white image takes on a surreal fantasy like persona that perhaps makes us stop and look. We may just walk past another color image unless it was very well done.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I shoot color I tend to use film and subjects that are more monochrome in nature. I can appreciate really vivid color work from others, but find my own efforts with vivid subjects to be rather lacking. Wahsed out pastels and faded colors seem to be of more successful for me.

I do like to shoot polaroid film with an old SX70 and may explore this further using "grey area" means to make enlargements.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I shoot color and B&W, but more on B&W. For color, I prefer print film like Reala 100, I like the latitude and color very much, but one thing make me not happy with it is I can't control the outcome of the print, the machine print is just not consistent. I don't want to spend a lot of money to get them custom printed, so I shot less and less of them.

when shooting different mediums, I do intend to look for different aspect of the subjects. I will look for color contrast and shape for color film, for B&W, I just try to find lines and shades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember reading years ago that the subject of a color photograph is the color itself. I use this as a guide as to whether I shoot in B&W or color. Since I am usually interested in things I therefore shoot far more B&W than color.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin