Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,245   Online: 720

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

juried/curated exhibits and juror standards...

I recently submitted work to a juried exhibit. None of my photos were accepted; in itself, while frustrating, is just a fact of life. What I've found very interesting is the seeming total arbitrariness of curatorial standards - many juried shows I've submitted to seemed to either have no standards or applied them in a haphazard manner. In the case of this most recent show, the exhibit was titled "The Human Form". Since I do male nudes, I submitted three (the maximum number of entries allowed). On returning to the gallery to retrieve my work, I perused the exhibit as it was hung on the wall. For a show about The Human Form, there was only ONE male semi-nude, the rest of the nudes were female. The three prize-winning pieces for the show did not even feature a discernible human form - two were swirly abstract painting-thingies, and the third one was a suitcase with tylenol pills and small torn up newspaper bits, some of which had photos of faces on them, decoupaged onto the outside in the general pattern of an American flag.

I have two questions, then. A: What is going on here - am I missing something, or do I just live in a sufficiently artistically devoid city (Washington DC) that this kind of crap passes for acceptable curatorial behavior?

and

B: What is this extreme bias against male nudes in art? For a show about The Human Form, I found it puzzling at best to see that half of humanity was for all intents and purposes excluded from the show.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I do no figure work and little portraiture, I may not be qualified to comment but here goes anyway. Juried shows do nor normally have standards. The whole idea is that the judge is the only and final authority on what stays and what goes – sorry.

My still life was rejected at a local art (not photography) show a while back. When I arrived to pick up my print, I was informed by the show sponsors that that particular judge threw out every entry having “color” in the matting or frame (Huh?) That entry had a slightly gray mat. Indeed, there was every sort of art in the rejects with color in the mountings. The next judge gave my entry first place b&w.

I have no real interest in figure art, male or female but I don’t feel that either is prejudiced in the general art field. Keep trying.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

juried/curated show

Just the usual bulldinker stuff from the art crowd. I don't enter contests or juried baloney anymore. Spend my time making prints and marketing them myself.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    I exhibit no work. I am therefore not subject to bias in the jury pool or the whim of a hanging judge.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every show has a bias. Rarely is it about 'good pictures'. A fact of life. Don't blame it on your city. Of course the male nude is scary these days. And the more frightened a group is about offending, the more they retreat. Ever look through normal magazines in the '30s ? A different world. Anyway. Have your own show.

good luck
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin