Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,058   Online: 873

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think that with photography, you have to have a certain amount of intentionality to create humor in an image, which seems to run counter to people's intuitive expectation of spontaneity/accidentalness in humor. I'm not saying you can't have it, but you just have to work harder at it to make it seem like you didn't work at it at all... (aah, irony).
    I have one image that seems to always provoke laughter - lesbian rhinos in action at the National Zoo. Apparently, rhinos are quite fertile in captivity, so to prevent overpopulation, the zoos segregate the rhinos by sex, but they don't sterilize them, so when one female rhino goes into heat, the other one responds because they're kept in a single-sex environment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Madame de Staël, the daughter of Jacques Necker, a finance minister of Louis XVI, wrote in a discourse on literature: “The English language created a word, humour, to express a hilarity, which is in the blood almost as much as in the mind ...What the English depict with great talent is bizarre characters, because they have lots of those amongst them.”

(Extracted from The Economist online.)

Not restricted to the English, is it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Laughter

I just read a quote in our local alternative paper The Free Press, attributed to Carl Sagan. "The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus and they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

Is he implying that Bozo was not a comedic genius?

I am certainly pro humor in photographs.

sunny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading some of the posters here, I think humour is missing in the photographers. So how could they convey humour in their work?

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    He's hard to forget! I mentioned him earlier in the thread!! A favorite... the woman eating ice cream in front of a clothing store with a headless male mannequin... very humorous, indeed!
    ..which was the cover of Women Are Beautiful, for which he was endlessly pilloried by the fem activists and self-conscious critics of the day.

Had Garry lived longer, though, he had proposed a second book called Son of Women are Beautiful

There is always an awkwardly-fine line w/street photography, in finding humour without deliberately mockery. Then again irony and ambiguity are SP's stock-in-trade so no hay problema

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Maybe you've been seeing the wrong exhibitions? We laugh all the time in museums. Try seeing some Henri L'Artique for instance - very amusing. Personally, we really like some photo's by swiss based artists Fischli & Weiss. I could enumerate a few others if you'd want, but all depends on your own sense of humour as well. Alas, from this distance, I can't judge to what sort of humourous types you belong. And then, some may laugh where others fail to see the humour. Happens all too often. An example: Gilbert & George's photo works is funny to some, pointless to others.

But on the whole: humour and art are not by definition mutually exclusive, so there is no reason why there couldn't be photographs as works of art that are also funny or even hilarious.
    Well written. I agree.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Absolutely, of course humour belongs in photography, as does sadness, pathos, and every other human emotion

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    Absolutely, of course humour belongs in photography, as does sadness, pathos, and every other human emotion

Martin
    So, how about this one I fished off my news service?
    I think it contains all the above...

Btw, those who want to see silly photos of our great "Leaders" let me now...
    Last edited by arigram; 01-12-2008 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin