Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,768   Posts: 1,516,490   Online: 858

View Poll Results: What level of photography are you at?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artist

14 19.72%
  • Whore

7 9.86%
  • Amateur

36 50.70%
  • Snapshooter

3 4.23%
  • Professional

2 2.82%
  • Rich Amateur

4 5.63%
  • Equipment Measurbator

5 7.04%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Broke, not paid, balances food v. film, and if you add horribly misunderstood, subject to wild mood swings and obsessive behavior you qualify for #7
    Hmmm... I get paid, just not for photography...
    horribly misunderstood? Ok I'll give you that, there are many who don't 'get' my gentle humour
    Wild mood swings? WTF?!! I never had a mood swing in my life you &*£!&%$*£!!!
    Obsessive behaviour, not sure about that, unless it applies to getting better at photography...
    Definitely don't qualify for seven because I'm not an artist, just someone who messes with photography as best he can and learning as much as he can as he goes.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    should I be taking any special precautions?
    We're all glad your thinking about practising safe photography.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I aspire to be a whore, but as it is, I can't even give it away... I think that makes me an amateur, except that that would be an insult to the vast army of skilled amateurs out there... I can't be be a snapshooter 'cos I always use a tripod and I definitely ain't rich. I don't care for shiny new equipment, nor spend too much time testing and measuring. I'm not a Pro. I guess that makes me an Artist...

Hang on... no... that can't be right either...

Pass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    SOmeone missed their coffee this morning.

I mean, are you really that insecure about your chosen profession?
    Mark, you're another person who doesn't know me at all. Feel free to look at my work and google my name if you wish to see if I need to be insecure about my profession.

When K Rockwell first posted this crap, there were no disclaimers that it was a joke or was posted as humor. It was orignally posted as his observations, he only added the humor disclaimer after catching a huge amount of criticism. What you might fail to realize is that what he wrote is what he really thinks of us all.

Here's an old photographer's joke for you;

Question; How many photographers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer: Fifty, one to screw in the bulb and 49 to say, "I could have done that"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    Mark, you're another person who doesn't know me at all. Feel free to look at my work and google my name if you wish to see if I need to be insecure about my profession.
    Uhh. it was a question. Note the question mark at the end. If it was an accusation there would have either been a period, or an exclamation point. Since you are secure in what you do why let it bother you?

When K Rockwell first posted this crap, there were no disclaimers that it was a joke or was posted as humor. It was orignally posted as his observations, he only added the humor disclaimer after catching a huge amount of criticism. What you might fail to realize is that what he wrote is what he really thinks of us all.
    I saw it when it first came out. It was as hard then as it is now to believe that anyone would take it serious. Now, assuming he does feel this way for real, then the laugh is on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Early riser
    Here's an old photographer's joke for you;

Question; How many photographers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer: Fifty, one to screw in the bulb and 49 to say, "I could have done that"
    I thought three more asked what equipment the guy used, and at least one more claimed he did it before the first. It is an oldie but a goody.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    life is too short to give much of a dam what people think. If your work pleases you or your client/intended audience, than you have all you need.

I looked at this as a light hearted bit of BS, and nothing more.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Uhh. it was a question. Note the question mark at the end. If it was an accusation there would have either been a period, or an exclamation point. Since you are secure in what you do why let it bother you?

Mark, I see the question mark, however often when you ask a very leading question you are implying something in that question. As an example: "I mean are you really so rude as to put a question that way? There is an implied statement in the way I put that question that I thought you were rude.

As for why does his essay bother me, I just find those type of insulting generalizations to be disrespectful. I may be more sensitive to it being used on photographers because I have many long time friends who are professional photographers who I greatly respect and I find his calling them "whores' to be disrespectful. I also find it even more distasteful is that it's an amateur who is calling all those who make their living as photographers "whores". It's one thing to make fun of the group to which you are a member, it's another thing to ridicule those from another group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amateur or professional, the only difference is one earns their living from photography and the other does not but all make photographs and therefore are photographers. So all belong to the same group.
    No offence meant Early Riser, but I really think you're being over sensitive here. The item is plainly a piece of light hearted fun. I have seen similar pieces referring to different types of car nut, or cyclist or steam enthusiast or motorcycle restorer... etc. etc.
    I am certainly not offended by this in the least.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Amateur or professional, the only difference is one earns their living from photography and the other does not but all make photographs and therefore are photographers. So all belong to the same group.
    No offence meant Early Riser, but I really think you're being over sensitive here. The item is plainly a piece of light hearted fun. I have seen similar pieces referring to different types of car nut, or cyclist or steam enthusiast or motorcycle restorer... etc. etc.
    I am certainly not offended by this in the least.

Andy, no offense taken. The difference between amateur and professional can be a big one, and not just referring to money, in the context of an amateur calling professionals a "whore" there clearly is an implied difference in groups. Do you see many pieces referring to car nuts, cyclists, motorcycle restorers as whores?

I have been privileged to learn from, work for and associate with some of the very best professional photographers. People who have made a commitment to photography of time, effort and resources that few can imagine. I'm sorry, but I just think referring to them as "whores' is inappropriate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for why does his essay bother me, I just find those type of insulting generalizations to be disrespectful. .

Geez, Brian, it's a good thing your not a violist!
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin