Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,003   Online: 881

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ceratto
    Not a situation that has a simple answer of course. .
    Nonsense. You give the person the same consideration that you would want to be gven IF you were in his shoes, ie homeless, hungry and seeking a private place to sleep undisturbed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Nonsense. You give the person the same consideration that you would want to be gven IF you were in his shoes, ie homeless, hungry and seeking a private place to sleep undisturbed.
    I agree. My wife and I got to talking about this thread and had an amazing conversation. It was hard to think of times when I could think of photographing a homeless person for my personal work without feeling like I was exploiting him/her. Even if I offer money in exchange for photographing them, they are not in much of a situation to make a rational choice and turn you down. I understand that a sensitive documentary is a different issue, in that it would be about trying to improve the situation of homeless people in general. However, in my mind, even a sensitive documentary tends to exploit the individuals in it and sort of short change their humanity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Question I ponder upon a lot as streetphotography is "my thing"... for now I have decided
    that whatever it is I can say with my photo's does not outweigh the discomfort and "dehumanization" I impose on the subject. The person is first and foremost a human being and why should the pleasure I derive from taking a "nice shot" be more important than the respect every human deserves. I like streetphotography because to me it is the most interesting way of photographing emotions (on par with documentary photography), and photographing poor/disabled/destitute etc. people would imho be allowed if it fits into a well thoughtout criticism of society or a part thereof. Like a journalist could do, or an artist with a well thought out body of art who has created a way to open a dialogue with society. not me, showing his photo's to some friends and selling some "pretty" pics every now and then. Maybe in the future, but I would have to grow a lot... In your work (as you describe it) I don't see any justification for taking the shot and I think you did the respectable thing. I must say I did take shots I would now (after having given it more thought) not take.. But you live and learn..

Kind regards,

onno

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my fantasy I would give him $50 to let me spray paint him. In real life I'd just continue to shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, spray painting the homeless has always been a fantasy of mine too. We need Sean to make us a sub-forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went back to the same location last night and was shooting my first sheet when the guy showed up to go to bed. I gave him $5 to get a cup of coffee for an hour and he seemed pleased with the deal.

Problem solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin